Life On Mars

ABC (ended 2009)

Life On Mars Fan Reviews (57)

• A shit show

The UK version is fantastic, but this is shit. Why do American have to make shit versions of great shows
  • Had to give it time to grow on you...

then they cancel it. I Love the ending.
  • Big surprise the US versions sucks, with 10 minutes LESS SHOW!!!

Just took a peek at the UK version. Lookey there. 52 minutes. American audiences so stupid. Know what people will be doing with those 10 extra minutes. In the swing states, they'll be watching 10 minutes of political poppycock campaign ads. In other states, the same damn commercials will be getting shoved down our throats that they showed in the other 8 minutes of commercials. So the American audience is intentionally being dumbed down by the "job creators"... Then they vote for Romney. Congratulations world, you are winning the culture war... When does fat and stupid lead to economic collapse? Sadly not having watched the UK show, I am actually intrigued by the US version. But perhaps with wtf happened in episode 7, I'll just switch to the UK version...
  • Life on mars

Not so much as a review. Well sorta. Who is the tool, program director that canceled this. They should be fired. Great show So I give it two thumbs up and five middle finger to the idiot that canceled it.
  • A shambles of a remake compared to the genius of the UK original.

It's become a running gag now in England that American remakes always flop. The Red Dwarf US pilot is hated by American fans, and the overseas version of Fawlty Towers wasn't to include Basil, the main character. Thank God the BBC haven't allowed there to be a US Doctor Who.

Anyway, along comes Life on Mars, one of the biggest success stories for the BBC in years. And as with everything successful in Blighty, America came a'calling. Was this similar to the weak remakes of old? Sadly, yes, it was.

The biggest insult to the original thought comes in the form of its ending. And without spoiling it, Life on Mars' US ending is possibly one of the least original and cheesiest endings a US remake ever had. Which adds to the cheek of the writers asking permission to change the ending, due to the original not being "creative enough".

My one piece of advice to viewers is to avoid this remake with a 1 mile pole, and to purchase the UK original. It's on both DVD and iTunes around the world now, and was successful enough to gain a second run in the form of Ashes to Ashes, totaling 5 series compared to America's one series.

America's version of Life on Mars really was a "God awful small afair"... cheesy ending I know, but fitting for the show itself.
  • If you're an idiot & need a job you'll fit right in at ABC.

I don't know about anyone else but I for one wish I had found this show sooner.
    I'm finding it hard to understand why they canceled this show, especially when you look at some of the junk that's currently on. Leave it to the networks to once again cancel a show that had promise. If you're an idiot & need a job you'll fit right in at ABC. I don't know about anyone else but I for one wish I had found this show sooner.
  • how could you end this?

This was one of the best shows on t.v. Please bring it back.....Please....Let the last episode be a dream. Not too many clean shows on anymore worth watching, but I made a point to watch this one. It was so interesting, waiting to see what would happen next, hoping for the best for Sam and his Mom. Please, please bring it back, or at least sequel to it. That's it, make a sequel to it. That will do just fine. Everyone would be so happy to see anything connected with the show. Please consider the fans!
  • And people think this is GOOD?!

I live in England, and watched the original Life on Mars, which has now been renamed Life on Mars UK. This in itself is not right, as the remake is always the one which gets the setting put after it, but I digress...

I watched the original, and this is rubbish compared to it. They have tried to keep the same stories, and failed spectactularly. Admittedly, they've kept some of the funny scenes, like the fight in the hospital room, but other than that, rubbish!

It's practically impossible to recreate an English show in America, so why do they try? Please, people, THINK!
  • Damn, I am already missing this show.

Damn, I am already missing this show. I can't see how ABC can think the The Unusuals could be a superior show to LoM, especially considering the slots lead-in... LOST. If Life on Mars were on HBO or Showtime I'm sure it would have had a chance to grow and become something profound and memorable. Too bad premium cable won't take a chance on a Sci-Fi drama and network tv won't let a young, quality series find it's audience. I am seriously disappointed in ABC's decision not to give Life on Mars a chance. This may sound weird considering the psychological and introspective nature of the series but I wouldn't mind seeing a drama based on what these character do once on Mars.
  • I really liked this show and I was shocked to hear it was canceled. I would watch it via the web back to back and really enjoyed it. I told many people about it and now it is gone. Booo... gosh give something a chance.

I really liked this show and I was shocked to hear it was canceled. I would watch it via the web back to back and really enjoyed it. I told many people about it and now it is gone. Booo... gosh give something a chance. I would like it to return somehow, I have not watched the last episode so I don't know how they wrapped it up yet. But sure would like to see more of it. I fear that reality TV is cheeper and makes more of a profit and let us not forget easier. Too bad I liked this show very much and I am sorry to see it go the writing was good, the ref to the 70's spot on and it was very enjoyable.
  • Doomed to cancellation from the start.

As far as remakes and imports from across the pond go, I think this show is evidence that the industry is at least learning the importance of handling them with respect. Many of the differences indicate an understanding that maintaining the integrity of the source materiel is not the same as carbon copying it. However, American producers and networks have a bad habit of valuing quantity way over quality. They don't know how to quit before things get stale (see Friends, The Office). And they would rather stretch arcs out as long as people will keep watching than have a couple high-quality seasons (see Lost). The UK version was only 16 episodes, this was obviously meant to be longer and moved much slower. However, I will say I was happy with the character Gene Hunt. Despite being wildly popular in the original version, they didn't just hire an actor to do an impersonation. He was still cool, he was still crazy, but in his own way.
  • Life on Mars... feels like I've seen this show before on NBC last year...

Wait didn't NBC have this show first? It was a guy who traveled back in time against his will to change things. Hmm... seems familiar. Oh wait, that was Journeyman. Life on Mars is a poor man's Journeyman. Am I the only person who finds this show completely boring? TV execs want to cancel shows like My Own Worst Enemy, Journeyman, Pushing Daisies, and The 4400 just so they can replace them with MORE reality TV and bad knock offs of popular shows. And yet shows like ER are never ending! They cancel a show and give us more celebrity dancing! I've never seen the British version of Life on Mars, I've heard it is good. Jason O'Mara may be very manly and attractive, but he is not a very dynamic actor. The show just doesn't hold my attention. I can't get emotionally attached to any of the characters. I need more than a pretty face and some funky retro clothing. I'd say it should be canceled, but then they'd just give us a reality tv show about college students studying the intricacies of snail movement or something like that.
  • Watch the British version instead.

4.5
    I was so disappointed with the way that this show went, that I went out to watch the British version and discovered a wonderful wonderful show. I can completely understand why they cancelled the ABC version. There was no smoking! There was no sexism! There was no bigotry or malice or any of the wonderful things that the UK version had. Yes, there were wonderful actors, but for the most part they seemed hamstrung and unable to elevate the material.

The one saving grace- this show turned me on to the British version (can you tell I loved it?) and THAT show is amazing.
  • Terrific idea for a show, after all TV isn't real life so it played really well. This one had great characters, good writing every week and it was very well acted, all things rare for modern TV...so of course it's now cancelled, go figure.

I am really pissed off that this show got cancelled, it was a great show and those just don't come along too often these days. I think if it had gotten even a bit of promotion then it would have had a lot bigger following. I found it by accident and then went back to watch the two episodes I had missed, it is that good a show. I lived in the 70s and this show did the era really well along with good story lines and excellent acting. Who ever came up with the concept of this show, did the casting and then the production should be promoted but instead the network cancelled it...
  • A chaothic dream.

This show doomed from the get go, there were so many diferent directions that they could have gone, I wonder if the reason it went that way at the end, is because they had nothing to loose,I have been thinking if is our generation that has changed the way networks decide what to do with the shows, is the instant gratification syndrome we are suffering right now, many of the greatest shows from the past were dull at the beginning, Friends, Seinfield to name a few, but, over time they came to be some of the best, ever, I think they should give it a little time, one season is not enough, well, maybe for this show it definitely was.
  • ABC doesn't know a quality show when they have it.

ABC doesn't know a quality show when they have it. ABC only cares about ratings and stupid reality tv. Fantastic story. A-list Cast & Production. Authentic to 1973 and 2009. Original. Better than the Original. I can go on.... Emmy worthy television if it was on hbo, or even perhaps CBS!

Life On Mars was an amazing tv Show that should have been given better marketing and a better time slot. Rewatching the dvd proves how incredible Life On Mars really was with Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli, and Jason O'Mara. You couldn't ask for a better team. I recommend everyone to buy this DVD...it's that good.

My top 5 shows of all time:
    I Love Lucy.
    Three's Company.
    Third Watch.
    Life On Mars.
    The Sopranos.
  • A great 70's cop show with a little "sci-fi" twist.

Can you believe this show ended?? And what a ridiculous ending to boot! A great show, great acting with a decent plot, "semi sci-fi" with some great 70's music and...poof...gone!
    Instead, these stupid networks run shows like ER for 15 years...come on,
    how many doctor or hospital dramas do we really need?? Lets take 'Greys Anatomy'...I like that show but how stupid was it to bring back a dead person to a somewhat decent medical drama? Life on Mars was a great show that really depicted a true accuracy to the 1973 time period. The acting was superb, mastered by Harvey Keitel and Michael Imperioli, and of course the new character, "Sam Tyler". Oh well, time to "grin and bare it" for another fine show!
  • Bittersweet ending to a fantastic series!

After picking my jaw up from the floor as I watched the last show of the series, I realized that the way this ended would not allow the series to come back again if it WAS picked up by another station. I was blissfully unaware that today was the last show and was I surprised!! Having never missed a show, having it all come together tonight was bittersweet. Aha!! my brain said as I played the ending back over and over in order not to miss anything. But then I realized that the way that this was wrapped up left no room for a continuation of the series that had become my favorite above all others. And so it is with a heavy heart that I thank the producers for this amazing show with the best music ever! It was a wild ride and I enjoyed every minute of it!
  • this was a great show had all the elemnts of being a classic

This short lived show will go down as one of my all time favorites it had a little scifi in a great cop drama that had great music and cool cars and some funky clothes from that crazy decade of the 70's i didn't seem that ABC gave this show that much of a chance it had a great cast jason omara gretchen mol micheal imperioli and harvey kietel i know maybe the title of the show kinda thorws people off like what is this show about they probably could have come up with a better title but it is still a great show none the less and i hope another network can pick it up
  • A superb show unlike anything else on TV. Pushes all the right buttons with a sci-fi hook that keeps you guessing on the edge of your seat.

The fact that this show is getting the axe solidifies my belief that the people who get to make these decisions have no real idea what people watch on TV. Everyone I know watches this show...its great. Nielsons...whatever they are using to handle ratings numbers is just not working. They just don't get it...the big three have always been afraid of shows like these and the people they get their ratings from...or at least the techniques/equipment they are using to monitor them anyway...must be as old as the setting of this show. How Lost made it beyond me...great show but seems like something these fools would cancel. Awesome show...shouldn't be cancelled.......IDIOTS I tell you!
  • american remake of the BBC hit show of the same name. a combination of crime drama and and sci-fi.

First off, I'd like to say that I'm extremely disappointed with ABC for canceling this fine show. Original ideas get kicked to the curb while tired, drawn out, fixed reality shows stay on the air. The bachelor? come on.

Detective Sam Tyler is transported back to 1973 New York after he is hit by a car while pursuing a criminal. He has no idea how or why. In the meantime he just goes with the flow. But Sam is from a different era. In 2008/09, criminals have more rights than the victims and there's procedure. In 1973, cops are cops and criminals are criminals. Sam has a hard time adjusting.

The hardest thing Sam has to adjust to is his boss, Lt Gene Hunt. Gene is a cop of his era, tough as nails and he doesn't take any crap from any perp. He and his detectives will do anything they can to get a confession. And they're not above beating a confession out of the suspect. Sam is horrified. He tries to suggest his method of police work, but his new colleagues won't have any part of it. A port in the storm is Officer Annie Norris. Sam connects with her immediately. He's accustomed to female officers and detectives and she desperately wants to become a detective. Of course this is '73 and Gene Hunt's precinct. Annie doesn't have much of a chance. Annie tries to help Sam with his problem of finding out why he's stuck in '73, although she thinks he's just a bit loony.

The other detectives in the squad are Dets Chris Skelton and Ray Carking. Well, actually, Ray Carling and his mustache. LOL. Michael Imperioli plays Ray just right. Wise cracking, street smart, male chauvinistic NY cop. And his mustache is great too. It's a legend on all it's own. We can't forget the amazing Harvey Keitel in the role of Lt Hunt. A person can't say enough. It's Harvey Keitel. Of course, the main reason for tuning in has to be Jason O'Mara. Gorgeous and a good actor to boot. I still can't forget his charming/creepy performance as Bill Coelick on The Closer. Please please save this show or get him a new one. Jason needs to stay on the airwaves.

In short, great show. Killed too soon by a crappy network. At least there will be a conclusion. Did Sam really get sent back to 1973? or was it all in his mind. And if he did, why? Will he and Annie ever hook up? Or is she more of a mentor or mother figure? Tune in April 1st 2009. (Hey, maybe it will all be a joke and stay on the air.)
  • The characters, stories, and music of Life on Mars work together to set it apart and far above other cop shows on television. It must be a sin that such a great show would be cancelled. I pray that a cable station will pick it up and fill this void.

I look forward each week to viewing Life on Mars. The characters, stories, and music work together to set it apart and far above other cop shows on television. I was shocked, dismayed, and disappointed to learn that it will soon be off the air. It must be a sin that such a great show would be cancelled. Though I fought it at first (I already watch too many dramas), my mother got me hooked on this program. I am addicted to this show, and I record it each week to make sure my mom and I don't miss it. I pray that a cable station will pick it up. Please, someone, bring it back and fill this void.
  • I cannot understand why ABC would want to cancel such a great show as Life On Mars. I have not missed an episode yet. I was devastated hearing that the show is being canceled. Shame on ABC for canceling this fantastic show.

Life On Mars is the best show on TV. Why would you want to cancel it? All the reality shows should go off the air. Life On Mars has a bit of everything in it. What are you thinking? Keep the show on. Please don't cancel it. I love this show and so do all my friends. We finally get a good program to watch and it gets canceled. Makes no sense to me. What type of feedback have you gotten that is so negative? This show is down to earth and very enjoyable. I am really disappointed in ABC for this cancellation.
  • Better than LOST any day.

Life on Mars is one of the best shows on television. I dont leave my house on Wednesday nights because of this show. I am sad that it is being cancelled.

• Life on Mars (US) is an adaption of an old British series. After watching the first few episodes i instantly fell in love with the show, and have been eager every week for more.

This show had a huge shoe to fill and i believe it achieved that and beyond. Characters, story, setting everything makes you believe detective Sam Tyler really has been taken back 30 years into the past. With each episode, Sam is presented with the difficulty's of policing back in 1973 varying from old technology, narrow minded views, police hostility, lack of rules and with each ep you feel more connected to the characters.

In all, watch just a few episodes of this show and you will fall in love with the characters and the show. The premature cancellation of this show is a stupid move, one which i will never approve.
  • Please don't cancel this show, it is fantastic.

Life on Mars brings to television a great cast, and an even better representation of the 70's era. I find it an easy going easy to watch show. I can't believe the stupid f@%kers at ABC are cancelling this. Probably only to put more sh*tty reality shows on. ABC needs to realize that people do not forgive big networks easily. Any new show that ABC airs people will always think twice about getting into it because if it's any good at all ABC will likely cancel it. I'm staying away from ABC shows until they have aired for at least two years from now on. If we all did that then they would never have a show air more than a year, oh wait, is that what happened here?!?!?

Don't cancel this show ABC!!
  • Life On Mars is only on its first season and already getting canceled. I personally like the show. Its got, action, mystery, comedy, and romance all into one. Its pretty much like another Lost, though it may not be as great. Its a great show.

Life on Mars is a show about a detective getting hit by a car and going back in time to the 70's. Weird, I know. Its kind of a complex show but thats what makes it great. I think it really could have gotten going if had more time. The cast is great. The story line was pretty good and could have opened up more but the show is being canceled and will end on April 1. They will reveal everything and let everyone who watches it why all this has happened. Maybe it might just get more people interested but then it will have been too late.
  • Life got What????!

My Yearbook/English teacher has a friend who words for MTV, telling me he had the inside scoop about TV shows and what not and she said that he told her life on Mars got cancelled! Is this true? This can't be true! I love this show and have been watching it since season one eppy one! That normally doesn't happen! I watch about 20 tv shows and out of all of the 3 of them I have been watching since the first episode! So i consider this show to be very specical! How could it have possibly been canceled! This is outrageous!
  • Please, Please, Please !!! Do not cancel this show !!!

It seems that every time a network comes out with a show I like (New Amsterdam) they cancel it. I really enjoy this show and look forward to it every week. The story is original and definately entertaining. The portrayel of the 70's is right on the mark. This show beats a lot of the other garbage the networks are forcing us to watch. If your looking to cancel something - cancel some of the reality shows out there. How many times do they think we want to see the bachelor or bachelorette burn someone? I happen to find it disgusting to watch someone compete for a marriage - like it is some kind of trophy. The object of television is to provide entertainment and Life on Mars does exactly that. If I wanted to watch someone's messed up life I would turn off the tube and watch my own.
  • The accuracy of the era of this show is incredible.

"Life On Mars" is the Best show of the season. much much batter than it's lead-in "Lost" ever was. The accuracy is mind boggling., i.e, theven the lids on the dispoable coffe cups were spot-on accurate. The music in the background and references to current events of the time are also absolutely spot on.

The characters are so approriate for the era, especially Harvey Keitel's character. Also the dtecetive with the mutton chops, and his male chauvenist terms are so true for that time frame. Please Do Not Cancel this show. While it may not be catching on andit should, It Will. ********I Love The Show*********
< 1 2