Life with Derek

The Room

Aired Unknown Sep 18, 2005 on Disney Channel

• A great introduction to the series.

I really thought the pilot really gave a perspective to all the characters who are going to be in season one. Casey Mcdonald, known as a drama queen, wants Derek's room, which is not in Derek's options. Until he wants the basement when Casey acted like she wanted it, so she can get the room. Casey is very clever & a bit of a schemer as she is introduced. Emily is introduced. Derek is known as the cool guy. The rooms stay the same all the way till the last episode, so it really was great how this epsiode introduced the show. Great!
  • Casey and Derek battle it for there space in the house.

This episode was the first of the series, Life with Derek. This is one of my favorites because it shows when Nora, Casey, and Lizzy start to adjust and move into the Venturi's house after George and Nora got married. Casey, her little sister Lizzy, and there mom Nora move in with George and there three kids, Derek, Edwin, and Marti. Casey and Lizzy are put into a really small room and nothing will fit. Casey has to have her desk out in the hallway. During dinner, Casey makes a speech that she and Lizzy need more room in the house and Casey suggests to have Derek's room. Derek is shocked and fights with Casey about it. George suggests moving down to the basement and they fix it up and Casey pretends to want it. In the end, Nora and George move down to the basement, Derek gets to keep his room, and Casey moves into George and Nora's room.
  • I wasn't fully impressed yet about this show, but for me it can be given a chance it is the start so probably I can say that it is a safe one.

I wasn't fully impressed yet about this show, but for me it can be given a chance it is the start so probably I can say that it is a safe one. It had a little boring factor for me because it was a little too quiet but some transformations were seen and this one could have a lot of improvement hopefully it will!
  • this is the pilot episode. derek and casey play mind games to get the room they want.

i really like this series and the very first episode was a great way to start off.it shows the tension between derek and casey really quik. it shows that the show is mainly going to be about casey and derek and their fuids with each other. i also think that season two is really good. T H I S W A S M A D E B Y T H E O N E A N D O N L Y S O F T B A L L 3. Y E A H B O I ! ! ! ! ! !
  • A great pilot episode that introduces us to the family and creates the feel for the rest of the season.

In The Room, the pilot episode of the series, we are introduced to the Venturi and McDonald family who have recently become one unit after Nora McDonald and George Venturi married.

In the process Nora's two daughters, Casey and Lizzie, become step siblings with George's three children, Derek, Edwin and Marti.

Although the entire family is featured in the episode, it is clear that the show revolves around fifteen year old Casey and how her mother's marriage has effected her life. Casey loves school, is an overachiever and was perfectly content with her old life.

The second main character of the show is Derek, who is the same age and grade as his step-sister. He is her polar opposite, often ignoring schoolwork to pay more attention to hockey and girls. Derek is also resistant to any change his father's marriage has brought about.

The main conflict in this episode is the room situation. The McDonalds have just moved into the Venturi household (it's implied, in my opinion, to have only been a few days after the marriage). While Edwin was forced to move to the attack room and Casey is stuck in a small bedroom with her sister Lizzie, Derek continues to live on in his room.

Casey, seeing this as being unfair due to the fact that his room is larger, demands that her mother give her the room. Ulimately, it's decided that a room will be fixed up in the basement for Casey. Although she's not thrilled with the idea, she pretends to be simply to upset Derek (who she knows will want the room if he thinks its what she wants).

Her plans work, Derek deciding that he wants the room. She quickly agrees to take his. A matter of seconds later, he figures out what she did and changes his mind. A small fight occurs between the two and eventually the rest of the family (who spent a long time putting the room together) is obviously upset.

Derek and Casey are not allowed to leave the basement until they work out their issues. Casey caves first, feeling guilty and agrees to have the basement room (which neither teen wanted anymore). But Nora had decided that Casey made enough sacrifices for the family (new home, new school, etc) and won't allow it.

The episode ends with Casey getting the parents bedroom with Nora and George moving downstairs to the room they had prepared for Casey.

Overal, it wasn't the best episode of season one but it was enjoyable none the less.
  • I love It.

Okey I love this one But cassy wanted Derek to move out of his room I my good ness. Cassy I Sometimes mean like she thinks Derek should do everything her way but i do not I am glad that Derek got to keep his room his room are yall? I love the venturis I think they have there rights.

Just so yall no yes I am a girl. :-)
  • good start

When Casey is forced to share a room with her little sister Lizzie, Casey decides that she needs a room of her own - or rather, Derek\'s room. Casey suggests that since she\'s had to leave her old life, old school and friends, that it would only be fair if she was given Derek\'s room. Nobody - epecially Derk - is into this idea, but George and Nora compromise by offering to do a quickie