Lingo

Daily 2:30 PM on GSN - Game Show Network Premiered Aug 05, 2002 In Season

bmoshier

Lingo Fan Reviews (26)

• Like this game

That is all I can say. I really do like the game show Lingo and it does a pretty decent job too.
  • This used to be one of my favorite game shows but it makes me sad that it only airs at night.

I love Lingo, its fun to play at home and fun to watch. Now I used to play it while it was on but i quit doing that, because i was never good at that and they would always get it before me. Now when it aired around 5 i watched it all the time it was my favorite game show n GSN. And sometimes if they miss it it's hilarious. Like they get it so wrong its just funny and it happens often. Its just hilarious. Now the old Lingo's weren't that good, the new ones are pretty good but the middle ones are the best. The very end at final Lingo gets very exiting with the jackpot and one time the jackpot went so high that someone won $47,000. Well this show is awesome and check it out. Overall 10/10.
  • A wonderfully simple game but there is room for improvement.

Lingo is a wonderfully simple game. You need to know all the five letter words, have a strategy to reduce your choices based upon the clues, and finally have the luck of the pull. Unlike other intelligence game shows, Lingo has a finite amount of information to learn and practicing a strategy makes the difference.

There are approximately 2,738 five letter words in the English language. Memorizing this number of words is possible for the average person. A team's success comes from their willingness to learn these words, strategy, and luck.

I avoid becoming good at Lingo for several reasons. The main two reasons are my desire not to get too frustrated with the contestants and keep the excitement.

The jokes between Chuck Woolery and Shandi Finnessey are funny and a good break.

I agree with Sarah10106 and how watching stupid people can be funny and entertaining given some common sense. I suspect the people just didn't practice being under time pressure, a strategy, and memorizing the five letter English words.

Please read my suggestion on keeping these people and gaining the enjoyment of seeing really great players.

While I don't watch the show all the time, what I would love to see are more openly gay couples. There are many married, engaged, and dating heterosexual couples but I don't remember seeing any gay couples. If there have been some, they are so far and between as to avoid my watching pattern.

One suggestion for the future: Add returning champions to the show, so we get the excitement of following a really good pair. On the other hand, meeting two new pairs each time is fun, too. Maybe a second version of Lingo (shown twice a week) called "Championship Lingo" would fill the bill. In this viewer's opinion having two Lingo shows five times a week is too much for the viewers. A second version showing twice a week would keep the people coming back.
  • Two Teams have to solve 5 letter words. Pretty fun.

Lingo is a pretty cool game. Two teams are separately given the first letter in a five letter word, and have 5 chances to solve the word. It's fun to try and guess the word when your at home, which makes it even more exciting just to watch the show! When a team guesses correctly, they are given a chance to score more points by getting 5 balls in the same row. You can win cash at the end if you win. It's an easy way to pick up 5 grand, plus, you can have some fun doing it. I hope they continue to air new episodes because it's a great show!
  • This is a show that is somewhat interesting to watch if you like game shows. I gave it a nine beacuse i like it a lot.

Nothing like hearing the popular Chuck Woolery say "2 and 2! Coming right back!" So classic. It was better when he did it on love connection. Then of course, theres the stunning, beautiful, Shandi Finnessey. Or should I say...Miss America 2004. She takes care of all the letters and words, and pretty much does everything. This show can be seen on the Game Show Network (GSN) pretty much everyday. If you haven't seen a single episode of this, try it. You'll like it. It really is a great show. Pinning people against each other. Word Challenges! Top prizes increasing everday! YEAH!
  • Wish I could see it more often

I like this show but I'm to slow to figure out any of the answers.
    I only get to see this show every once in a blue moon at my grandmas. But when I do see it I love it. Its such a simple game but entertaining. I don't have much more to say so I'll end with ! marks and ~ marks. Dang you can't do that hummmmm think think think think think think think think think think! think think think think think think think think! I know lets play L I N G O ! yahooo go Lingo go Lingo go Lingo go Lingo go go Lingo Lingo go Lingo go Lingo go Lingo
  • I love Lingo!

Lingo rocks! It's so awesome! It's one of the best game shows ever! It is currently on Game Show Network. I watch it a lot. Sometimes, the contestants can be so funny becuase they can't spell. They spell it wrong and it's hilarious. I was watching episode #242 with Zoe and she spelt some words wrong! Ha ha ha ha!! It was so funny!! She also spelled didn't didnt. Ha ha ha ha ha!! I want to see that episode right now. Ha ha I was so happy that she won $5,000. Overall, a wonderful game show and it's awesome!
  • I enjoy this show quite a bit, but there's still vast room for improvement.

The quality of this show improves each season, although it still needs a few changes. First of all, it's a great concept with charming hosts, especially Shandi with her witty quips and what not, but idiotic contestants take away a bit of the fun. Also, I like that recent seasons don't waste time explaining the rules on camera and that games have become more fast-paced, but I still sometimes feel like they don't leave enough time for round two. Then, there's the bonus round. What disappoints me is when contestants perform splendidly in the main game and then blow it in the bonus round. Not to mention the prizes. The way it is now, if you get a Lingo on your first pull, you win the jackpot, but if you get it on a later pull, you win $5,000. So a team that gets 10 could earn five grand whereas a team that performs poorly has the opportunity to win a jackpot just as large as if they guessed double the words correctly. Logically, players should be rewarded for skill rather than luck. All in all, I like Lingo, but I still desire more.
  • Great game show!

I love this show, I watch it everyday with the family. We usually have trouble figuring out the words though, its amazing how the people on this show figure out so many words in a short amount of time. Its very informative as well, sometimes I dont realize that some words they spell are actually in the dictionary.
    My only pet peeve about this show is Shandi Finnessey.
  • I like this show but I\'m to slow to figure out any of the answers.

I only get to see this show every once in a blue moon at my grandmas. But when I do see it I love it. Its such a simple game but entertaining. I don\'t have much more to say so I\'ll end with ! marks and ~ marks. Dang you can't do that hummmmm think think think think think think think think think think! think think think think think think think think! I know lets play L I N G O ! yahooo go Lingo go Lingo go Lingo go Lingo go go Lingo Lingo go Lingo go Lingo go Lingo
  • I love to wathc Lingo, because of the new game plays they come out with every season.

One day, I was watching GSN and found this show. I quickly fell in love with it. From the lovely hostess to Chuck Woolery's game show charm, I just had to watch it. I think the game overall is original and they have somee of the perfect game show host to hosts the show. Also, I learn a new word on the show everytime I watch. This has got to be the easiest game show, or one of them though, because after while, the words will have to repeat themselves. However, the ennjoyment and laughtre of the show is funny, simply because of the prizes to be won and how easy some of the words are.
  • Lingo...

This show has two teams of two people. Chuck (the lingo host) gives whichever team is going first a letter. The words are always 5 letters. The team calls out a 5 letter word that starts with the letter that chuck gave them and then they see how many letters they got right that is in the real word that they have to work their way to. My explaining of the show is not the best of them all and it may be a little confusing but just email me or somthing if you want me to tell you more about this show!
  • Neat word game.

Lingo is something like bingo in away. Chuck Worley does a great job as host. Two teams face off against each other. They are giving five chances to guess what the word is. When the get the letter in the right place it turns red. If it not but in the word it turns yellow. If they finish it they pull lingo balls to finish there board. The team who has the most money at the the end goes on the play bonus lingo same thing as first two rounds but who keep going for 5000 or 10000
  • teams of two guess 5 letter words starting with the letter givin which ever teeam with the most points wins

entertaining, intresting, and educational.
    so entertaining because you guess words with the people playing. intresting to see what the word ends up being. and educational by the words you learn it's also funny because of Chuck and because of the stupid people that are on there sometimes. I mean come on you should have to take a test before you go on there! like they show them there is no "e" and the next word they guess has and "E" in it. i'm sorry but watching people like that is funny and entertaining and if you have any common sense it is to you too!
  • What a great game show!

This show is by far one of the best games shows ever. This game show graced the game show network, and it is still around today. I was always a fan of Lingo, but it keeps getting better and better with every episode. This is one of the shows on the game show network I would never want to see canceled. The idea of Lingo is amazing. This is without a doubt one of the most original game show concepts I have ever seen. I not going to say that the game show network has bad shows, which it doesn't, but I don't know what it would do without Lingo.
  • While not the greatest gaming show ever, but that Shandi is HOT!!!! And the show has its fair share of good times throughout!

Lingo is for me a simple game show that is fun to watch and not that hard on the brain. There aren't any questions, and its just basically an easier game of Wheel of Fortune, without the wheel, and with only 5 letter words. I find the show fun, and most of all I love Shandi Finnessey, she is much better than the previous co host, and shes extremly beautiful! Overall Lingo is a fun game show, that doesn't strain the brain.
  • Great show

This show is really good. Many of the words on the show are really easy. It feels like the people can hear you because you both have the same answer. It's funny how people can say a six letter word or spell a word incorrectly. The online version of Lingo is harder. This is a good show.
  • my favorite game show

this is my favorite game show and one of hte few i watch i think its really funny its good i hate chuck woolery but i like him in this this show is good its a weird form of bingo but with a hot girl co host i say sweet up the yin yang

EROK
  • THis is a great show. It is entertaining.

THis is a great show. It is entertaining. Lingo is the word game that's taken the Game Show Network by storm. Hosted by Chuck Woolery (Greed/Love Connection/Scrabble), and co-hosted by 2004 Miss America, Shandi Finnessey.

From the show's rules recap: "The team in control has up to 5 chances to guess the mystery word. The board will indicate whether the letter is in the word and if it is in the right place. The team that geats the word will then get to draw two balls that correspond to their own Lingo board. To get a lingo you need 5 across, up and down, or diagonally. The team will lose control if the team gives a word that's too long, not a real word, or if they run out of time, or if they draw a stopper. The point values are 25 for a word and 50 for a LINGO.

In round 2 the points are doubled and 3 "?" balls are added, which act as wild cards. This means that they can be used anywhere on the board.

Bonus Lingo:

The team that wins then goes on to play bonus Lingo. They get 2:00 minutes to try to guess as many words as they possibly can; this time instead of 1 letter they get 2 letters for each word. In Season 2+ they get bonus letters which help them. They get 1 letter for winning the game and 1 for every Lingo they get during the game. The team gets to draw one Lingo ball for each word they get right. Then on the Bonus Lingo Board they get 12 Numbers (13 Numbers on season 1) marked off. In seasons 2 and 3, if the team gets a LINGO on their first pull the team wins a trip valued at $5,000 plus the $5,000 cash. Effective with Season 4, the prize for getting Bonus Lingo on the first pull is $10,000 cash.

Lingo became GSN's top rated original series of all time upon its debut, and retains that title today. It was viewer mail that prompted GSN to produce a fourth season of "Lingo" after originally deciding to go another direction with their programming which featured gaming and contest shows.
  • I love Lingo not cuz it's a great show but for one reason and one reason only and that reason is I have a huge crush on Shandi Finnessey she is so hot! Shandi is the main reason to watch Lingo. She's a much better co-host than Stacy. mmmm Shandi.

Lingo is a nice show simply because of the co-host Shandi Finnessey. Shandi is such a babe! I love her so much! I never watched the show untill Shandi became the new co-host. Shandi is so much hotter than Stacy. They should make a video game of Lingo just like the Wheel Of Fortune game only has Vanna and not Pat the Lingo game should just have Shandi and not Chuck.
  • A great game, some aspects are not needed, but the game is fun to play, and play along.

I must first say, when I saw the original Lingo air in 1987, I loved the game. A game that tested your knowledge of 5 letters. Then other countries have tried to recrate it using a new format, I then heard that the game was coming to the US, with Game Show Network, the first season was only 20 episodes, and was shot in the Netherlands, because they weren't sure how successful it was, but it was....it was a Game Show Network hit, and came back in Season 2 back home in the states with a new set. Season 2 was the best in my opinion, because there was no cohost, and Chuck was trying to adlib and be all, which was good.

The format of the game is each team is given 5 chances to guess a five letter word, but the first letter is given. After each guess, the board will indicate if they have the right letter in the right place (in red) or the right letter in the wrong spot (in yellow). But if they run out of turns, give a invalid word, or take too long, control passes over to the next team with an additional letter given. Play alternates at that point until one team solves the word. Getting the word earns 25 points to the team (50 for round 2). The team with the right word gets to draw 2 balls from their hopper. The yellow (left) team draws odd numbers (1 to 69), and the red (right) team draws even numbers (2 to 70). Now, each card, 10 numbers will be automatically covered, with the best show is having 3 numbers convered for a LINGO. But in the hopper, each board has 3 red balls. These are called stoppers, and if a team grabs it, control goes to the other team for the next word. In the 2nd round, 3 question mark balls are added to each hopper. If a team draws that, they get to fill in any number on the board that isn't covered. If they can get a BINGO (or LINGO in the game), by covering 5 numbers across, vertical or diagonal, they earn 50 Points (100 Points in round 2), and they earn a bonus letter in the bonus round. Plays continues until time expires. After 2 rounds, the team with the most points wins. In case of a tie (and it has happened a few times), a seven letter tiebreaker word is given, and a letter is revealed until a team solves it.

The bonus round is a 2 minute sprint of 5 letters words. The timer begins as soon as the first two letters are revealed. But to help them, they have BONUS LETTERS, they can use. They are given 1 bonus letter + 1 additional letter for each lingo they go in the regular game. There is a limit of 10 words to this puzzle (Unless they have changed it in Season 4). Each word they get in this bonus round, earns them $ 100 and 1 draw for lingo in the BOnus Lingo ROund. This amount is earned if they do not get a lingo. After the 2 minutes, they are given a bonus lingo board, where 12 nubmers are convered, (there are only 4 patterns for this), but there is a row where 4 numbers are covered, so it is possible to Lingo with 1 ball (in Season 1, 13 numbers were covered, but you still needed 2 draws to have a shot at a lingo). In Season 2 and 3, if a team does get a lingo on the first pull, they win a trip (Jamacia in season 2, Harrah's casino in Season 3). But a lingo within their ball draws, earns them $ 5000. In the new Season 4, lingo with 1 ball DOUBLES the jackpot to $ 10,000.

In season 3, they changed the set and added a new co-host, Stacey Hayes, to me, she was eye candy, but I did love her british (yes BRITISH, not AUSTRALIAN as some of you said) accent. But she was there to tells us why a word was invlid or other reason it was a bad word. In Season 4, a new set, and another new co-host, Shandi Finnessey, Miss USA 2004 (from Missouri). However, the chit chat that was a part of season 3 has been minimized, and in Season 4, they have sped up the game, with on average so far, twice as many words as they had in season 3.

Overall, if you love word games, this is a fun game to play and watch guys try to fit 6 letters words into 5 spaces...
  • really fun can't get enough of it wan't to be on the show....

I love the game it is so fun to play along with the tv and try to guess what the word is before the player guesses it .It really makes me think sometimes other times its easy i wan\'t tickets to be on the show i just got to play!!!
  • I have fun with lingo.

4.8
    Lingo is a pretty good show. I like to play at home sometimes. And hope to get on some day, since it's comeing back. I did not much care for the way Chuck and Stacy would flirt. But still in all I like this show, and would say to give it a try.
  • I wish it was a real game so I could play.

Even though it's a really simple game, it's amazingly fun. Although, it's only fun playing. The contestants on the show are so horrible. I end up getting the answers right before most of them. And I'm only 14. I think the contestants are paid to do that. Oh well, its a decent show.
  • great show

This was one of the show that was not a mindless show. It made you use your brain and have fun guesing. Watching it at home and knowing the answer when the contestants can't see it makes you find yourself yelling at the tv going "whats wrong with you can't you see the word is ....." Its not all about luck. Its about thinking. The luck part comes in when you grab the balls out of the bin. Otherwise its a show that you have to use your brain to win. I wish they would bring it back. It is a fun show to watch and play at home.
  • Excellent game show where the quests search for slightly obscure 5 letter words by matching letters in 5 letter words that they quess.

This is a very tough word game. The players are very talented. They have done a good job in finding good players. The game moves along quickly. As the solution 5 letter word is often a little obscure, the viewer have a very enjoyable time quessing the word while the player work to get it. Chuck is an excellent host and Stacey is a very pleasant addition. It is humorous the first time it is viewed as it is impossible to figure out what the players are doing. Finally, the instructions are given and it makes a lot of sense.