Lipstick Jungle Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

News on saving LJ!

vitaminjd

[1]Jan 28, 2009
    • level: 13

A news article just posted here on TV.com

Boss says Brooke Shields' bubble drama may live on through partnership ala Friday Night Lights.

Lipstick Jungle's fashion-conscious Wendy Healy may have nothing in common with beer-swigging Tim Riggins of Friday Night Lights, but that may change pretty soon. One NBC executive is looking to keep Lipstick Jungle on the air in much the same way it held onto Friday Night Lights.

Fans of NBC's Sex and the City clone have been biting their manicured nails while the network decides the drama's fate. Is it dead? Is it coming back? Common sense says the show is done for good, but star Brooke Shields has been insistent to keep hope alive...and she may be right.

"Lipstick Jungle is so strong and has such a passionate base among a coveted demographic," Silverman said, according to Broadcasting & Cable. "That kind of show will have the same approach, and we've already begun that approach, as we've used with Friday Night Lights. We have some incredible channels in our portfolio and we have sister networks that love the show as well. We are analyzing what we need to do to keep that show on the air."

Wait, so this is all about money?

What Mr. Silverman is referring to is the unusual deal to share production costs of Friday Night Lights with a partner, in this case DirecTV, with the partner getting first run on a new season. The satellite operator has already burned through season three of the football drama, and NBC is now rebroadcasting the season.

But will anyone bite? Friday Night Lights' second episode on NBC fared much worse than its first, so if that trend continues it probably won't make sense to try the experiment out again.

It's looking like a long shot for Lipstick Jungle to return, but then again Friday Night Lights was a Hail Mary of epic proportions.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TesserT

[2]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 80
    There was a huge try by Warner Brothers & fans to get DirectTV to underwrite Moonlight but to no avail. And Moonlight had better ratings than LJ so this would be a real long shot.

Moniquedee

[3]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 10
    I love love love Lipstick Jungle, and I am hoping for a miracle so that they will save it.

HRGirl

[4]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 9
    I will keep my fingers crossed. I love this show, but I really am not thinking this is going to work out. All the shows I enjoy keep getting cancelled

DrTrish197

[5]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 18
    has this show been officially canceled yet?