Little Britain USA Forums

Saturday 10:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Will it be as good as Little Britain (UK)?

Will it be as good?

hollacious

[1]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 18

I can't wait to see the American version of this, the UK one is so funny, but will it be as good?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ewarwoo

[2]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 6
    It's still teh same guys so it should still be good, but I don't think as good no, they'll have tpot one it down a bit for the US audience.

FCBarca

[3]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 15

My first response when I heard it was coming stateside and to HBO was joy...3 Seasons in the UK simply weren't enough much less the live tours or specials...It's great comedy and I say the more the better.

The key, of course, is that the principals are the same...Matt and David are still at the helm so no reason to believe they'll see a dip in form...The ancillary actors, of course, will be missed, i.e. Anthony Head as the Prime Minister.

I did catch a sneak preview of the new series on the HBO 'On Demand' section through Comcast...13 minute piece (Ultimatey more like 10 minutes) that gave a glimpse at some of the sketches...From what I could see, looks just as good as you'd imagine...Best of all, looks like additional sketches stretching their talents which is all the more exciting, IMHO.

As for the humour finding it's audience, I think it's inevitable it will...It will, of course, miss the mark with other viewers no doubt...Someone also mentioned that it will offend and from the sneak preview I saw, I think some of the bible thumpers etc. are surely to not enjoy much of it

Game on because the guys are back and it looks smashing!

Bankertuck

[4]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 11
    You're right it is about time! Now all we need is Kath And Kim (Australia) to be brought to North America.

woodsome

[5]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 4
    On Jonathan Ross last Friday they showed a clip from a skit called the Gym Buddies - very, very funny indeed. http://www.hbo.com/littlebritainusa/characters/mark_and_tom.html is a different clip - and on the show, the black boxes are not there....

gryffinval7890

[6]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 12

i really do think this will be as good as Little Britain(uk)
    but i think that they're just easing into it for the U.S.-ers so that they can can have a chance to enjoy it... like most American would not be able to understand a word that Vicky Pollard says, so for LB USA she's starting off slower.... but im more than positive that she'll speed up again as time goes on..

herbertanakin

[7]Oct 11, 2008
    • level: 4
    Epidode 2 was even less funny than episode 1. Why take the english characters to the usa? make new ones (at least in the first ep there were a few funny ones).

FCBarca

[8]Oct 14, 2008

herbertanakin wrote:
    Epidode 2 was even less funny than episode 1. Why take the english characters to the usa? make new ones (at least in the first ep there were a few funny ones).

Completely concur and this comes from a diehard Little Britain fan...Very poor couple of episodes...The insistence on doing the same characters was a bit lazy, IMHO...And while I thought the idea of doing the sketch with the gun toting rednecks is a great one, the delivery was a bit thin for my taste...Seemed like they could've done more with that.

The bubbles sketch on the ship was pretty anemic...The 'bitty' sketch was awkward...Even the Andy & Lou sketch was pretty poor.

Not looking promising, I'm afraid

exterminator25

[9]Nov 8, 2008
    • level: 27
    if the US version of the office has taught us anything, its that us rip offs of hit uk shows are rubbish

Kimmiejensen

[10]Nov 11, 2008
    • level: 6
    Not really a rip-off is it??? Just a new location. Its not like the Office where it is an American cast and new persona.

FCBarca

[11]Nov 11, 2008

exterminator25 wrote:
    if the US version of the office has taught us anything, its that us rip offs of hit uk shows are rubbish

Agree with another poster, this isn't technically a 'rip off'...It's more of a transplant as it's the same principal actors.

I think they started to find their feet as the series continued but I'm not sure that the humour caught on with many...I'd say out of the first 6 eppys, 2 I'd rate highly...And 3 were terrible...That's not a great way to make a splash in the US.

I found they did their best when they kept their humour focused on American things rather than their British skits...Still, strange to see them start off with such a great skit with Rosie O'Donnell in the premier for the fat fighter sketch and then never really come close to that kind of skit after that.

I wonder if they're coming back

rkray

[12]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 2

Bankertuck wrote:
    You're right it is about time! Now all we need is Kath And Kim (Australia) to be brought to North America.

Well, you got your wish and they totally screwed it up! As other people have said LB USA is more of a transplant and has been okay although the episodes are very uneven. The old characters like Vicki, Fat Fighter, Computer receptionist are still great and the new mother/daughter quite good.