Little House on the Prairie

100 Mile Walk

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Sep 25, 1974 on NBC

• Episode 3 - 100 Mile Walk - My Review

This episode mainly focuses on Charles and Caroline.

The Ingalls family feel blessed when they have a 100 acres of wheat to be harvested. They start making plans on what they can buy from the money they will be earning from it. However, that night, a bad hailstorm ruins their crops, and Charles has to go to other towns to earn money. He leaves his family and on the way, he meets a man named Jack Peters. They soon become friends, and at night while camping and having their meals, a man named Jacob Jacobsen meets them. The three of them soon become good friends and find work in the quarry, hammering rocks. While they are working hard, Caroline gathers the women in Walnut Grove and comes up with a plan to harvest the remaining crops in the field. All the women eagerly start working except for one named Willa, who just seems to complain a lot. But Caroline gets through to her and they all work hard to harvest the remaining crops. Unfortunately, Jack Peters dies in an unfortunate accident, and Charles has to give Jack’s family the news of his death on his way back. Charles finally returns home after earning his due and everyone is happy to see him.

I wouldn’t say this was one of my favorite episodes, because the scenes where Charles and his friends are working in the quarry was a little boring. The ending is a little sad when Charles has to meet Jack’s wife and son, but apart from that, this episode did not move me too much. I wouldn’t call it bad because it had its moments, but on a whole, if I had a choice, I probably wouldn’t watch this episode again.