Little House on the Prairie

A Child With No Name

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Feb 14, 1983 on NBC

• Laura's infant son dies and in her grief, she pins the blame on Doc Baker. Others in Walnut Grove do the same until the good doctor succeeds once again in his practice.

I don't know if it's possible to call this episode a JTS moment: Jaws had probably leapt long before this one aired. Okay, let's review the plausibility of this: Laura (who has known Dr. Baker most of her life, as she states) is going to bar him from the funeral?! And Harriet's scene with Nels, where she gets hysterical about Doctor Baker was truly bizarre and over-the-top. I thought: is she supposed to be the foil for all the heaviness? I was also offended by Mr. Edwards calling her ugly twice. For one thing, it's a sexist remark. It's also untrue. And it just seems like lazy writing: put down the meanie and the audience will love it.

But one of the biggest, most glaring abnormalities, was the fact that the Ingalls are never even mentioned during the tragedy of Laura and Almonzo's loss. That is totally incomprehensible. Why weren't any of Laura's family at the funeral? They had to go to Walmart? Hester Sue even showed, so where was Mary? Lame!