Little House on the Prairie

A Wiser Heart

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Nov 02, 1981 on NBC

7.4
  • Witness Laura go to college.

What can I say about this episode of Little House on the Prairie? One thing that I that I found enjoyable about it was the change in scenery for Laura, being that she got to go to Arizona for a summer school course. Another thing that I enjoyed about the episode was that we get to see Almonzo's sister, again even thought I wasn't much of a fan of hers.

When the episode starts out with Almonzo walking up to the Walnut Grove School house with a letter in his hands, you can almost tell that he has something that holds big news for Laura. I thought that it was really nice to see her get a chance to go and have an adventure with her sister-in-law, even if it meant spending time in school. I also thought that it was nice how she and Eliza Jane befriended Mort, a fellow teacher who was also taking the same literature class they were in, mainly due to how pleasant I found his sense of humor to be.

However, there were only a few parts of "A Wiser Heart" that I didn't care too much for: how childish Eliza Jane was acting when Laura learned of how their instructor propositioned her to become more than just teacher and student, when the professor turned on her when she refused to go along with what he had in mind, and when Laura was working as a dishwasher with that hard-nosed boss lady. The upsides to these storylines was when Laura stood up to her boss in the kitchen, Eliza Jane saw the way she was acting was wrong, and how Mort stood up to their professor for Laura.

In all, even though this episode had a few drawbacks to it, I still found it to be well written and a good addition to Little House on the Prairie.