Little House on the Prairie

Author! Author!

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Nov 26, 1979 on NBC

7.7
  • Caroline's mother and step-father are coming for a visit to be there for the birth of Mary's baby but things go terribly wrong on the journey.

When Mary finds that she is pregnant again, everyone is delighted, including Caroline's mother and stepfather who wish to be in Walnut Grove in time for the birth. On the train journey, however, Caroline's mother passes away and she is greeted by the sight of her mother's coffin.

Her step-father, Fredrick Holbrook is predictably very depressed at the loss of his wife and all he wants to do is die so that he can join her. The family try everything in their power to make him feel better but they have little success until he starts relaying stories from the past which they feel should be printed as a book. A publishing house is more than willing to accept the manuscript and the old man is delighted, until Charles learns that they must pay for the cost of the books and the publishing.

Not wishing the old man to find out, the family gets as much money together as possible and the book is published.

I remember an almost identical episode of "The Waltons" when John Boy had a book published and was presented with a bill for 50 dollars when the crates of books were delivered.

This episode was quite good, but I find myself annoyed that it is always Laura who fixes everything up for everybody because although I really thought Melissa Gilbert was a superb young actress, Laura constantly taking a major part in 'saving the day' got to be a little wearing after a while.
INSP