Little House on the Prairie

Castoffs

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Sep 12, 1977 on NBC

4.8
  • Good to see everyone back in Walnut Grove again but sad about Jack as he was definitely part of the furniture.

The Ingalls family are once again settled on their farm in Walnut Grove after their prospecting at the end of last season. Seems as though the Edwards' have gone on to California but it's great to see the rest of the townsfolk once more - even Mrs. Oleson!

In this episode, Laura is becoming increasingly annoyed with her old dog, Jack. He is following her constantly, being a nuisance, barking and annoying her in general but she is heartbroken when poor old Jack is found dead in the barn and her guilt refuses to let her warm to the black and white stray named Bandit that Charles brings home for her. Finally, however, she takes the dog into her heart.

This is the stuff that this show is made of and it's a wonderful, heart warming episode to watch.
  • If you've ever lost a pet, you're gonna love this episode, especially if you've been a fan of the show.

Caroline tells Laura to clean the foxtails out of her dogs ears. She tries, but the family dog, Jack refuses to cooperate and wants to play instead. Laura goes to visit her new friend, an old eccentric woman called Keizia. Upon Laura's return, Jack is dead. Laura is devastated. Charles goes on a little work trip and another dog he names Bandit, befriends him and rides home with him. At first, Laura doesn't like the stray dog. Keizia isn't liked by a few people in town (namely Mrs. Oleson), and is considered an outcast much like the stray dog, Bandit. She helps out (new cast member) Mr. Garvey with his back pain, and helps Laura understand we all need to deal with loss, amd love again, even if we are different. Laura finally accepts Bandit as her new dog, and the people of Walnut Grove accept Keizia.
  • Confused about the link between the end of season 3 and the beginning of season 4

This was the season opener for season 4, and although I really liked the episode ( When I was Laura's age, I remember getting mad at one of my dogs a few days before she died) there is one thing I still don't understand....
    "Gold Country" (the season 3 finale) ends with the Ingalls and the Edwards families heading back to W.G.
    yet in the opener for season 4, the Garveys have replaced the Edwards, with no mention of where they went and no "introduction" to the Garveys. It's like we were just supposed to "know" them. Was there an episode that never was released for some reason???
    Julie