Little House on the Prairie

Come, Let Us Reason Together

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Jan 12, 1981 on NBC

3.5
  • In this episode Percival's parents come to meet the in laws and await the birth of their Nellies baby. Culture shock occurs when Jewish folks from New York City find themselves in Walnut Grove, especially the relationship between Harriet and Benjamin.

I hadn't remembered enjoying this show so much when it was first released, but watching it in 2007, I was delighted with many aspects of this episode. For me, watching Nellie and Percival's relationship, the introduction of Jewish culture, the clash of the in-laws was great fun!! Seeing Mrs.Oleson meet her match in Percival's father was amusing,and the rest of the cast did a great job supporting them. There were some misrepresentations, and a great deal of poetic license taken, but all in all it was a funny and clever way to deal with some of the issues that might have confronted a "mixed" religious marriage in the 1870's. They did happen. There is some liberties taken with tradition, both Christian and Judaic, but it was done with a pure motive, and an attempt to be respectful.

On the CD set there are comments on this show from Alison Arngrim, that are very enlightening. I highly recommend watching the epidsode with commentary.