Little House on the Prairie

Divorce, Walnut Grove Style

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Nov 10, 1980 on NBC

5.5
  • Jumped The Shark

After the wedding of Laura Ingalls to Almanzo Little House began going downhill. Laura became immature and only proved that she was too young to get married unlike her sister Mary when she married Adam. It is apparent that Michael Landon was getting tired of Little House which showed during the last two seasons that he still starred before he left.
  • Newlyweds Laura and Almonzo have trouble adjusting to married life--things escalate when she suspects Almonzo loves someone else.

The beginning of this episode has Laura serving a less than stellar dinner to Almonzo. He's unhappy, but after all, she works hard all day too, she reasons, and having leftovers (again) isn't really the end of the world, is it? Then as Laura tries to grade papers, Almonzo starts playing his guitar, and a fight ensues when she asks him to keep the noise down. The following day, a girl Almonzo dated (briefly) visits town, and when Laura sees her talking to him in the town square, she goes ballistic, making a scene in front of the girl (Brenda Sue) and storming home. A fight ensues, and Laura retreats to the Ingalls farm, where she announces, "I'm leaving Almonzo!" The next day, after a talking-to from her Ma and Pa, Laura goes back to her house and finds no Almonzo, but does find a note that says, "My Only Love, Brenda Sue Longstreth". It's in Almonzo's handwriting and of course Laura assumes the worst, not knowing that it's just the title of a song that Brenda Sue had published in the big city. Laura sees Brenda in the town square and literally attacks her, pummeling her senseless. Ma, who witnesses the attack, and Pa, force her home, where the three of them ask Almonzo to explain exactly what's going on. He does, Laura looks like a fool, they kiss and make up, and it's on the the next episode.

I very much dislike this episode. After two years of having her do everything possible to capture Almonzo's heart, Laura is suddenly turned into (by the writers), a screaming fishwife, who, frankly, no man would want to be married to. Watch several of the episodes that follow this one, and you're sure to notice her change in personality. At this point in the LHOTP series, Michael Landon played a huge part in the scriptwriting and production of each episode; I'm disappointed at the way he allowed Laura to devolve into such a shrew. Watch, too, for a decline in her "personality". Laura's character became less interesting and multi-dimentional in the last three years of the show.

The only "funny" part of this episode at all is the recurring "gag" about the broken window. Don't go out of your way to see this one, unless you want to see two (supposedly) grown women in engaged in a fistfight.
  • Laura and Almanzo's marriage is tested by the arrival of someone from his past.

This episode is extremely out of character for Laura and fairly epitomizes why Charles was concerned about her maturity in "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not". As we know, the Wilders will experience many difficult times far more serious than this. If Laura cannot handle the reappearance of an old girlfriend of Almanzo's, it's questionable as to how she can handle the storm that destroyed their crops and home, Almanzo's stroke and the death of her baby. (In fact, we find her losing control of herself during those times, too).

The Olesons and the picture window gag provide much-needed comic relief.
  • Comedic misunderstandings, a heap of ROMANCE, and a morsel of eye candy for the ladies

I thought this episode was kind of comedic for a dramatic show, and a little comic relief is a GOOD thing. An entertaining look at life between marital partners -- with all its misunderstandings, ups, and downs. And no, Laura wasn't being a shrew, she was combining her own work and own life with her marriage to Almanzo/Zaldamo, giving the message that women can be par of a couple and be their own people too (Bravo! Bravo!) -- and thoght the misunderstandings about Brenda were funny and charming, and the sweet reconciliation scene was endearingly romantic -- and that bath scene with Almanzo/Zaldamo -- Oooooh-la-la! (Wonder if the REAL Mister Wilder was that cute?)

I thought this episode was kind of comedic for a dramatic show, and a little comic relief is a GOOD thing. An entertaining look at life between marital partners with all its ups and downs. And no, Laura wasn't being a shrew, she was combining her own work and own life with her marriage to Almanzo/Zaldamo, giving the message that a woman can be part of a couple and be her own person too (Bravo! Bravo!) -- and I thought the misunderstandings and conclusion-jumpings about Brenda were funny and charming, and the sweet reconciliation scene was endearingly romantic -- and that bathtub scene with Almanzo/Zaldamo -- Oooooh-la-la! (Wonder if the REAL Mister Wilder was that cute?)
  • Meow! Watch Laura have a catfight rivaling "Dynasty" and "Jerry Springer!" And for the ladies (and gay men), there is a yummy scene with Manly taking a bath. Mmm...

As entertaining as this episode is, it is clearly quite unbelievable and the misunderstanding is really lamola. I have to disagree with the poster who put down Laura as a "fishwife." I mean, could Almonzo have been a bigger douchebag than he was? He starts **** at Laura about EVERYTHING and expecting her to be the little woman when he knew she had a career as a teacher. And that little strumpet who used to date him was totally flirting with him! He didn't flirt back, but I could see Laura being pissed off by this tart. She was totally catty to Laura. I am not an advocate of violence, but seeing Laura push her in the dirt by placing her hand over Miss Thang's face was quite enjoyable to me! You KNOW she really wanted to call her a biotch and not a witch, LOL! OMG-this is Jaws territory fer sure...but I still was able to be entertained. I love when Caroline steps in on Laura's fight and takes charge. Laura is like totally crazed! It's hilarious...

*Note: the scene with Nels/Harriet that someone cited as amusing was a little bit of a turnoff to me when I think back to "Second Spring." Just sayin'...
  • The scene with Nels and Harriet in bed together with Harriett having mud on her face and Nels remarks made the whole epidsode worthwhile.

Harriet is trying to tell Nels that you have to keep romance alive. All of this talk while Nels is trying to read in bed and Harriet has a mud pack on her face. Harriet says all these peasants think about is cooking and sewing and having babies, there is alot more to it than that. Harriet then tries to alure Nels who makes some of the greatest comebacks to Harriet in the history of the show.
    Harriet: Why do you think I wear this every evening?
    Nels: To scare me?
    Nels: If you want to make yourself more beautiful for me, why don't you wear that stuff during the day?
    Harriet: For heavens sakes Nels, I can't let people see me like this.
    Nels: Yeah just your husband.
    Harriet: Nels? I'm only trying to make you happy, isn't there something that I can put on?
    Nels: Yeah. Put on a paper bag.