Albert?

hotpickles23

[1]May 1, 2006
    • level: 2
    where didd albert come from did they adopted them !! also how many did caroline and charles have ??  , mary ,laura , and carrie!11 thanx!!!!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bobbi01

[2]May 4, 2006
    • level: 4
    If my memory is correct, Charles met up with Albert living in the city (not sure which one) and took him home.  There was one child that they cared for that when it came to adopting , the 'real' father was located and tried to take him back home but then  was convinced to leave things as is (the father only wanted him to work as a farm hand - but not sure if that was Albert).  The children as I remember them = Mary, Laura, Grace , Carrie , Baby Charles (only lived one episode) Adopted - Albert & two others (boy & girl - can't remember their names) whose parents died traveling cross country. 

EatAtALs

[3]May 4, 2006
    If I remember correctly, Albert was living in Winnotka (sp?) when the Ingalls, Garveys, and Olesons were staying there following a financial crises in Walnut Grove. He (Albert) had ran away from an orphanage and was living on the streets. When the Ingalls family moved back to Walnut Grove, Albert went with them. Charles and Caroline decided to adopt him which brought out his true father Jeremy Quinn, who WAS only looking for a farmhand. Albert, upon meeting his biological father, pretended to be blind, which deterred Mr. Quinn from wanting him. Albert was then adopted by Charles and Caroline Ingalls, becoming Albert Quinn Ingalls. Charles and Caroline adopted 2 more children, Cassandra and James Cooper, whose parents were killed in a wagon accident. Albert and Charles were travelling when they met the family and despite his best efforts, Charles was unable to get Mr. Cooper to take heed about the dangers of travelling downhill on a steep slope, thus resulting in Mr. Cooper losing control of his team and he and his wife being crushed. In REALITY, the Ingalls had 5 children. Mary, Laura, Carrie, baby Charles (who died at 9 mo.) and Grace. On the SHOW, they had Mary, Laura, Carrie, Albert, Grace, James, Cassandra and of course, Baby Charles who passed away. If I am incorrect in any of this, please forive me.

Bobbi01

[4]May 16, 2006
    In a later episode, Albert comes back w/ Charles and has a terminal illness.  What was the illness and do they ever show that he dies?  The last episode I recall him being in was returning and them all going up the hill to the memory tree.

cstam1

[5]Jun 2, 2006
    The episode you remember I believe was a season 10 special. He did have a terminal illness but no they never mention him dying. In fact in another episode they say he returnsto walnut grove as Dr. Albert Ingalls. This is one thing that no one really knows. The eternal Little House mystery

Fused0ne

[6]Jun 14, 2006
    They are showing Look Back To Yesterday right now for me. And tomorrow the 2nd part. Its 2 episodes. I have never seen this and have wanted to, so I am excited its on. My local WB affiliate is playing it. Now all I will have to see is the special where Rose is Kidnapped.

robinepowell

[7]Jun 16, 2006
    • level: 63
    Bobbi01 wrote:
    If my memory is correct, Charles met up with Albert living in the city (not sure which one) and took him home.  There was one child that they cared for that when it came to adopting , the 'real' father was located and tried to take him back home but then  was convinced to leave things as is (the father only wanted him to work as a farm hand - but not sure if that was Albert).  The children as I remember them = Mary, Laura, Grace , Carrie , Baby Charles (only lived one episode) Adopted - Albert & two others (boy & girl - can't remember their names) whose parents died traveling cross country. 

Mary, Laura, Carrie and Grace were their natural kids. Albert they adopted when they moved to that new town (after Mary became blind). James (played by Jason Bateman) and Cassandra Cooper were adopted after their parents died.

Albert was the one whose father tried to come back for him, only so he use him to work and Albert faked being blind so he could be adopted by the Ingalls. He later died as an adult from disease that made his nose bleed.

Jamminjake

[8]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 28
    hotpickles23 wrote:
    where didd albert come from did they adopted them !! also how many did caroline and charles have ??  , mary ,laura , and carrie!11 thanx!!!!!!

Albert was in the city and he stole a lantern from a shop so Charles chased him to his little "home" under a porch and confronted him. He made him return the lantern, but Charles later bought it for him as a gift and soon they decided to bring him home.

LIW1867

[9]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 12
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 08/22/2006 3:47pm

ceosmom

[10]Oct 3, 2006
    • level: 20
    In an episode from season 8 or 9, Albert becomes a heroin addict (!)...at the end of the episode, in a voice-over Laura says that "one day Albert returned to us, as Dr. Albert Ingalls".  Then the next season they gave him a terminal illness.  Guess they forgot the plotline from the previous season!  Accurate or not; it doesn't really matter; Albert Ingalls never existed.  His orphan character was added to boost interest in the show.

robinepowell

[11]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 63
    ceosmom wrote:
    In an episode from season 8 or 9, Albert becomes a heroin addict (!)...at the end of the episode, in a voice-over Laura says that "one day Albert returned to us, as Dr. Albert Ingalls".  Then the next season they gave him a terminal illness.  Guess they forgot the plotline from the previous season!  Accurate or not; it doesn't really matter; Albert Ingalls never existed.  His orphan character was added to boost interest in the show.

True, I guess Michael Landing didn't think there'd be a third movie. I know he blew up the set (as seen in the movie) after that because the bigwigs said no more and he wanted more.

threejr

[12]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 3
    Their  names were James  and Cassandra Cooper.

computerchick91

[13]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 1
    ceosmom wrote:
     I noticed that too!
    Edited on 01/03/2007 10:59am

pjlcinn

[14]Jan 13, 2007
    If I recall it was Laura who first discovered Albert when he was stealing newspapers and money from the hotel in Winoka. Laura caught him but Charles let him off after making him return everything.  Later Charles caught him stealing the lartern and Albert didn't want to go back to the orphanage.  Albert was invited to Mary's birthday party and thats how he was introduced to the rest of the family.  But Albert never was part of the real Ingall family.  He was just added to the show.  His blood disorder (lukemia) happens in the last season really after the show has ended.  I think if he did die he would be buried under the tree he planted for his dear friend the woodworker.  Maybe the script writers wanted us to debate this for years to come.  I thought he was addicted to morphine when he goes to Chicago and starts to steal again. 

punchanoodle

[16]Jun 1, 2007
    It is implied that the disease Albert has is leukemia.  They refer to it as a "rare blood disorder".  They don't show Albert actually dying.  The last thing we see is Laura and Albert and the children on the mountain.  For all we know, Albert could have made a miraculous recovery.

punchanoodle

[17]Jun 1, 2007
    Also, it is implied that Charles, Jr. in "The Lord is my Sheppherd" died from leukemia as well.  One of the doctors said something like "The red blood cell count in your son's blood has dropped drastically in the last 2 days".

catsmeow3

[18]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 13

Actually Leukemia is when the white blood cells go crazy high.

Kent McCray is on the record saying, it is implied that Albert died, it was the intention, and also Michael Landon didn't know exactly what the future held at the time for the show, so it was left open. Landon also didn't like depicting the death of a main character, he didn't have the heart to show it. I think the sames true for Sylvia.

lisgirl978

[19]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 10
    Can you tell me where McCray stated that? Sounds interesting.

catsmeow3

[20]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 13

I got it from two seperate interviews, I can't find the second right now (it may be from Susan's radio show interview), here's the other

http://www.prairiefans.com/   (interviews/kent mccray)