Changes in characters' appearance on the show: any thoughts?

walnutgrove

[1]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 6

I always thought that Caroline aged so beautifully! She had such a wholesome beauty and that never seemed to go away as the years progressed, which is unusual in long-running tv shows. Charles also aged well, although I find it amusing that in the 4th season (I think it was the "Whisper County" episode), he had pretty graying hair, which miraculously disappeared in later episodes! Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary) must have gotten a late-70s perm because it was a little frizzy around the 4th season, not to mention that her shade was a lighter blonde (very common in the late 70s...may have been that product "Sun In," LOL!). Laura was such a cute little girl and went through an awkward stage around 14 (who doesn't?), where she was still in pigtails yet getting too old for them. She eventually started wearing makeup and letting her hair down, but I think she looked way better with all that makeup!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

catsmeow3

[2]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 13

Who doesn't? Melissa Sue Anderson, she never had that problem, the person that got it the worst was Jeb, what a dork! Albert was almost as bad, Melissa Gilbert did a little bit.

Michael Landon went prematurely gray in his teens, but at least he had great hair, the best ever. Karen hasn't aged all that well, and I don't think Melissa is either. Katherine MacGregor still looks great for her age!

ecgirl08

[3]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 57

The thing about ML's gray hair was that he looked so old in Seasons 9 and 10 of LHOTP, but when he did Highway to Heaven shortly after, he had nice dark hair again. This may be a stupid question, but did he make his hair gray on purpose for LHOTP, or did he make it darker on Highway to Heaven to make himself look younger?

I always thought Melissa Gilbert looked really pretty in Season 9. That seemed to be the time where she really "grew into" her role as an adult on the show. But I remember someone saying one time that she started wearing frosted eye shadow and completely unnatural eye shadow in Season 10, which is true. Definitely not the best makeup choices there!

catsmeow3

[4]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 13
    I think they made it gray on purpose, he could have let it grow out that color, but he loved his hair and I doubt ML (especially after marrying such a young new wife) would want to go around all gray in real life, and of course to make him appear younger on "HTH" also in 1983 he had a face lift.

smileybubbles08

[5]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 8

I think Melissa Gilbert looks very different in the last three movies than she did in season nine. Did she have a nose job?

tcwjra

[6]May 12, 2011
    • level: 22

The Greenbush twins started wearing their hair in braids in season season 7.