Favorite Recurring Character

DrCook920

[1]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 17

There were many characters on the show that were in multiple episodes, but not stars or co-stars. These include Hester Sue, Joe Kagen, the Garvey family, the Edwards family, Mrs. Foster, Eliza Jane, Adam, Etta Plum, Miss Beadle, Percival Dalton and others. These characters were just as much a part of the fabric of the show as the stars, and many have excellent episodes in which they are the featured player. Anyone have a favorite?

I have always been a big Hester Sue fan. I like that she's spunky and smart and independant. She had many good epiodes, but I especially like the recently brought up "Make a Joyful Noise". I always wanted her to end up with Joe, though.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sisterdorito

[2]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 4

There are so many supporting characters in the show that are enjoyable. I really loved the Percival Dalton character. He was the only person on the planet that could turn Nellie into a decent human being. All of the Nellie/Percival episodes rank among my favorites.

I also really loved the Jason Carter character. The little actor that played him (David Friedman) was just so adorable! And Jason was such a good natured kid you couldn't help but like him.

My most favorite supporting character is also one of the least featured characters because he joined the series so late...in the last regular episode as a matter of fact. I think the character of Mr. Montague is so hilarious! Every time I see the episode "Hello And Goodbye" I just die when Almanzo makes the comment about Mr. Montague acting like he's perfect and Mr. Montague replies "It's not an act, Almanzo. I am perfect. It is a cross I must bear."

I also like Hester Sue quite a bit. She has the voice of an angel. Every time I hear her sing at the end of "Mortal Mission", I get chills. And I agree, she should have married Joe.

Edited on 08/01/2008 7:58pm

ceosmom

[3]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 20

I just caught the episode "Barn Burner" today, and I have to say it's hard to beat Moses Gunn as Joe Kagan.

Steve Tracy as Percival Dalton is a favorite, too.

Now, if anyone ever wants to get on the subject of LEAST favorite recurring characters...

catsmeow3

[4]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 13
    That's easy Ceosmom, Eddie Quillian! The re-used him way too many times even though his character was always different, maybe E.J Andre too, but he was a darn good actor. Johnny Johnson is not a favorite, but I love "For The Love of Johnny Johnson", Laura is too cute in it.

A favorite recurring character, is one you love to hate, Jud Larrabee, played by Don "Red" Barry.
    I too like Mr. Montague, and wish we could have had more episodes with Ebenezer Sprague, Christy Kennedy, and Mrs. Whipple!

millerem99

[5]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 51
    Hester Sue is great. I also like Percival and wish they'd strung out the romance between him and Nellie across another episode or two. They could have done so much with that.

smileybubbles08

[6]Sep 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    Would you call the Olesons co-stars, guest stars, or recurring characters? If Willie counts as a recurring character than he's definitely my favorite.

DrCook920

[7]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 17

I guess the Olesons were mostly recurring characters, tho many episodes featured them prominantly enough to get co-star billing.

I liked Willie a lot too, especially as he got older.

ecgirl08

[8]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 57

I love John and Jason Carter from Season 9. John was just the kind of all-around great guy and decent person that you wish you knew in real life, and as another poster said, little Jason was impossible to dislike. He was a terrific little actor and had such presence on the screen. Definitely one of the most charismatic child stars over the course of the whole series.

Mr. Hanson always brought a smile to my face, too. Every once in a while, I like to say "Yaw, yaw," or "Nay-der!" just for fun, like he did.

ElijahPergole

[9]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 1
    Adam Kendall, without a doubt. Every time he'd appear something memorable would happen.

FantasyWriter16

[10]Feb 5, 2012
    • level: 1

My favorites were Miss Beadle and Eliza Jane.

1lawfan

[11]Feb 17, 2012
    • level: 4
    I just saw the wedding of Percival and Nellie again, such a great show...Nells telling Harriet over and over as she complains, "He's marrying our daughter" was almost as funny as Harriets "Make her a widow!So" when she first ran away to get married. I loved Steve Tracy and met Moses Gunn once in CT, another great actor. He was very nice and grateful for the show and subsequent roles in Michael's shows. I also loved the banker, Mr. Sprague. I wished, although the logistics and money to do it wouldn't have been worth it, he showed characters from other shows in church or school scenes. What happend to Graham or Johnny Johnson or the Widow Snyder?? : )