How far away was Mankado?

pjlcinn

[1]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    Does any one know the answer to this?  I am curious to hear some of your answers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ceosmom

[2]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 20

The distance finding website indo.com says that Mankato and Walnut Grove are 74 miles apart, as the crow flies.  Mapquest driving directions say 82 miles. 

My husband is a geography teacher and often references an aerial photo website called globexplorer.com.  You can go there, put in a town name, and get a current aerial view.  It's more up-to-date than most sites like it.  Just for fun, my kids and I have checked out Walnut Grove (pretty tiny at pop. 625!) , Sleepy Eye, and other LHOTP related towns.  Hometownlocator.com is another great site; the aerial photos are older, but there's lots of info on every town you can think of, largely using US Census stats, county records, and chamber of commerce info.

Edited on 02/15/2007 10:12am

pjlcinn

[3]Feb 15, 2007
    Interesting. So how long would it take Charles and his team on horses to travel between his house and mankato?

ceosmom

[4]Feb 15, 2007
    Well, the "roads" were unpaved, of course, and bumpy, so the wagon wouldn't exactly have been speeding.  Seems like every time they went to Mankato, they were always prepared to camp out at least one night along the way.  I seem to recall one eisode where it's mentioned as being a three day (I assume two night) trip.  Anyone?

Mac-Ale

[5]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 60
    That's about right, 30-40 miles a day is kind of standard with a team of horses and decent roads. Pioneers on flattish land but lots of creeks and gullies to cross averaged about 20 miles a day.
    Edited on 02/15/2007 3:49pm

catsmeow3

[6]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 13
    In "Four Eyes" Mary asks Pa "how long does it take to get to Mankato", he says 3 days. Sleepy Eye is a day away, Minneapolis is a week away but later in the series, they were making it to Mankato and back in a single day.

pjlcinn

[7]Feb 16, 2007
    Ok well in "The Wisdom of Solomon" Charles makes it seem like Mankato is a stones throw away. Solomon hops on the back of Charles's buggy and somehow stays quite aaaaallllll the way back from Mankato where I believe he ran away from. Heck my kids couldn't keep quite for 5 minutes on any road trip let alone 3 days! Must of been one starving child after that trip. Then Charles says he'll go back to Mankato to look for clues to the boy's family -- 3 days to and 3 days back. But as some of you mentioned in several episodes like "Times of Change" Charles says he lives in Walnut Grove which is a three day travel from Mankato. Now maybe on a horse w/o the whole nine yards he could travel there quicker.

catsmeow3

[8]Feb 16, 2007

A saddle horse is only good for about 20 miles per day, and that's a workout, plus he has to eat and rest, you can imagine the toll on a team pulling a loaded down buckboard.

Charles even made some night trips which is hard to believe.

ceosmom

[9]Feb 16, 2007
    The issue of "night trips" by wagon/buggy has come up before.  In at least two episodes it's mentioned that the Ingalls live about three miles out of town.  Yet in more than a few episodes someone visits the Ingalls after dark.  How could this be?  Even if the moon was full it would be difficult at best.

catsmeow3

[10]Feb 16, 2007
    In "The Faith Healer" Charles makes it all the way from Sleepy Eye to WG with a full moon, those poor horses.

billhawks

[11]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 2
    In the episode "The In-Laws" Charles and almonzo race from walnut grove to sleepy eye. They agree to leave at daybreak and get to sleepy eye before 1pm and get back by supper. So it takes a half day , one way. They take short-cuts and encounter many delays and don't arrive umtil around 5pm so they spend the night and go back the next day.

Mac-Ale

[12]Feb 17, 2007
    Walnut Grove is about as far to the west of Sleepy Eye as Sleepy Eye is west of Mankato. Actually, Springfield (where folks usually got the train in LHOP) is closer than Sleepy Eye.

pjlcinn

[13]Feb 17, 2007
    What is the name of the County? I know they always mention it but so far the name hasn't stuck in my noggin.

Mac-Ale

[15]Feb 17, 2007
    Today, I think that Walnut Grove is in Redwood County and Sleepy Eye is in Brown County.

They often refer to Hiro (or Hero) Township, not a reference I'm sure still applies.

ceosmom

[16]Feb 17, 2007
    ...and Mankato is in Blue Earth county.

ceosmom

[17]Feb 26, 2007
    In "Times of Change", Charles tells one of the Grange reps that Walnut Grove is "about three days outside of Mankato".  They're discussing the railroad at the time, but he must have meant by wagon.

benderfan7

[18]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 6
    interesting trying to use map quest to find the diatance. flawed though because the real ingalls family lived in de smitt when most of the things shown in the show must have happened. is there a real walnut grove and did laura ever live there?

Mac-Ale

[19]Feb 26, 2007
    Sure, there's still a real Walnut Grove, the closest town in the book "On the Banks of Plum Creek".

I think there is a tiny museum there today, the town is still really small.

wildgoose79

[20]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 1

While on a vacation to MN in the late 80's, I took a trip to Walnut Grove and it is a very small town and it did have a small museum, which actually i was disappointed in. It didnt really have hardly anything from the Ingals family, only things that came from that era. WG is located in the south west corner of MN. Having to travel east to come back home, we went through all the other towns mentioned on the show..Sleepy Eye, Mankato.

Somewhere in Wis. , I believe, there is a town that also promotes Laura Ingals , where she had lived in her later years. I forget what the name of it is, but they also had a house that had  small museum/info. I bought a small book there about her and all the places she had lived , but would have to do some major digging to find it.