Melissa Sue Anderson

melisariver

[1]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 1

In the last seasons Mary and Adam never show up. Was there a problem with Melissa Sue Anderson and Linwood Boomer?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ceosmom

[2]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 20
    I know that Melissa Sue Anderson simply got tired of being on the show.  And of course if you don't have a Mary, you can't really have an Adam. 

ecgirl08

[3]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 57
    On the 10th season DVD set, there is a great interview with Melissa Sue Anderson. She talked about how things changed a lot for Mary's character after she went blind, and there came a point where Melissa didn't want to just be a "prop." In particular, in Season 5's "Winoka Warriors," Melissa talked about the scene where Mary cheered from the sidelines, waving a flag back and forth. Things like that were behind Melissa's decision to make a breaking point with the series, at least as a regular cast member. Once she and Adam moved away at the beginning of Season 8, they were basically written out.

catsmeow3

[4]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 13

I don't understand, actors, producers, etc. who become bored and tired and end shows while they are still quite viable, most of us work the same job for 20 plus years, we get bored, don't always enjoy the work, but that's life. It really seems like a big dumb risk to take, and rarely do they succeed like they had. Spoiled egotistical prima donnas.

Not that I blame Melissa Sue, but she always was envious of Melissa Gilbert, and season 7 was HER year, they really didn't focus much on Mary, and good blind stories were drying up, I guess MSA did the right thing, and as good an actress as she was, she should have continued to work.

Edited on 04/10/2007 6:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

supercin721

[5]Apr 6, 2008
    • level: 30
    catsmeow3 wrote:

I don't understand, actors, producers, etc. who become bored and tired and end shows while they are still quite viable, most of us work the same job for 20 plus years, we get bored, don't always enjoy the work, but that's life. It really seems like a big dumb risk to take, and rarely do they succeed like they had. Spoiled egotistical prima donnas.

Not that I blame Melissa Sue, but she always was envious of Melissa Gilbert, and season 7 was HER year, they really didn't focus much on Mary, and good blind stories were drying up, I guess MSA did the right thing, and as good an actress as she was, she should have continued to work.

This is true but many jobs have room to grow and maybe MSA felt stymied in her role. Also, I would never want to be an actor. She spent her childhood in front of the camera. Maybe, as she got older, she realized it wasn't the job for her. Not to mention the long hours of filming and just milling about waiting for your scene. I'm not saying I like when characters leave...but I can't blame them.

DrCook920

[6]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 17
    I recently saw a few interview clips during a Vh1 special (from 2005, I think) where MSA sounded very bitter and sarcastically commented that as Laura's big sister she had little to do but pat Laura on the head and reassure her. My sister and I had a laugh over this and I was prompted to write an essay of sorts, or maybe a research document, about the great many Mary story lines over the years. It's tongue in cheek and quite funny, if I do say so myself, and not at all intended to be insulting to MSA. I thought she was a fine actress and I had a great deal of respect for her. If anyone is interested in reading it, I will be happy to make it my first blog entry.....

catsmeow3

[7]Apr 7, 2008
    Please do post your essay Dr Cook, it sounds fun.

DrCook920

[8]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 17
    OK, it's posted.

catsmeow3

[9]Apr 8, 2008
    Thanks, read it, one big one you missed was "The Collection", MG and MSA also shared many an episode together equally. Sure Melissa Gilbert did have more on-screen time then MSA, but the whole series was basically about Laura, ML and MG were the stars of the show, any complaints are sour grapes. Mary as a whole was in my opinion a much better written character then Laura, Mary never had to go through any awkward teen years, she was allowed to mature more normally and naturally, like she didn't have to wear braids for 6 years straight, she also got to travel and see many different cities. Mary also had her own David Rose music score, not even Pa and Laura have one of their own. If anyone should have a complaint about not enough stories and screen time it should be Karen Grassle, she had so much un-tapped potential talent, it's amazing what she did with what little was given to her, especially knowing that ML spent very little time connecting with her off screen as an actor. KG was terrific!

Mac-Ale

[10]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 60
    Mary actually got two Rose themes, her major one (mostly flute swelling to orchestra) and the "Mary studying hard theme" (somewhat like the "Jeopardy" music with strings and harpsichord parts).