Most and Least Favorite LHOTP character

ceosmom

[1]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 20

Since we have so many "newbies" here (and since the question has never been posted as a thread), name your most and least favorite "Little House" character.  Try to name just one of each!  Regulars, bit players, and one-hit wonders are fair game.  And justify your answer!

Most favorite:  Nels Oleson.  An all-around great guy; he just ruled whenever he would let his wife have it.

Least favorite:  Mr. Montague.  An annoying, unnecessary, and just-too-weird addition to the cast. 

Edited on 02/15/2007 4:51am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

catsmeow3

[2]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 13

Most favorite, Laura, least favorite, easy Albert.

billhawks

[3]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 2

Favorite:  Caroline---there are not enough adjectives to her. She was " The Perfect Wife".

Least favorite: Eliza Jane Wilder

pjlcinn

[4]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    Most favorite : Charles Ingalls

Least favorite : Almonzo

Mac-Ale

[5]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 60
    Favorite and most under rated as an actress: Karen Grassle as Caroline Ingalls

Least Favorite: I always liked Dabs Greer in 60s TV, but I didn't like Reverand Alden and thought he was too broadly drawn as a character.

JoolsMB

[6]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 10
    Only one favourite?? Ma.(followed closely by Laura & Pa)

least fav..
    has to be Nelly

NYDiva

[7]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 1

Most favorite -  Laura

Least favorite - Albert.  I never saw the need for him to be on the show. 

2cute4pie

[8]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 1

My most favorite is Albert even if there wasn't a need for him on the show.

My least favorite is Eliza Jane. Blahhhhhhh!

Foxyitalian2001

[9]Feb 23, 2007
    • level: 6
    Favourite: well can I cheat and go for 3? :p Laura, Almanzo and Mrs Oleson whos just hilarious!

Least favourite: Nancy - it's like seeing a 'copy/paste' of Nellie and she whinges all the time

JediSnoopy

[10]Mar 9, 2007

Favorite character:  Caroline Ingalls.  Willie Oleson.

Least favorite: any of the add-a-kids, especially Nancy, James and Cassandra.  They were completely unecessary.  I can almost understand Albert as they wanted a boy around.  But, the Ingalls had a girl at home (Carrie) that wasn't getting any storylines at all.  Why not use her if they needed a cute kid?

ceosmom

[11]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 20
    Compare "Carrie's" acting ability to "Cassandra's"--there's your answer.
    Edited on 03/09/2007 4:39pm

Mac-Ale

[12]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 60
    "Cassandra" had one of the most tragic "crying faces" I have ever seen on a child actor.

lisgirl978

[13]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 10
    Most Favorite: I love Mary. She changes so much over the course of the show and goes through such difficult times, it feels more serious than Laura. She's just strong and smart and I like her!!

Least Favorite: Albert. HE DOESN'T EXIST. My friend pointed out to me that the entire point of the books is that there is no son. Its all about that they had all these girls and not one boy. So why interrupt that fact? When Albert showed up the show really diverted from the real-life happenings, and I prefer the episodes with things that actually happened.

ecgirl08

[14]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 57

My favorite is John Carter, no doubt. He just came across as the ultimate family man and an all-around kind person. I thought they did a good job of making him his own character instead ofturning him intoa blaring replacement for Charles Ingalls, but I'm sure there are some people who would disagree with that.

It's harder for me to think of a least favorite, since I didn't really hate any of the characters, but if I had to choose, it's probably Nancy. She had her moments where she was funny andinteresting to watch, but for the most part she was too over-the-top, too psychotic. Allison Balson was a talented little actress, though--she definitely went all out with the character.

Edited on 10/20/2007 9:08pm

vampiregirl101

[15]Oct 21, 2007
    • level: 8
    Most favorite: Laura Ingalls

Least favorite: Albert Ingalls

ecgirl08

[16]Oct 22, 2007
    I had no idea so many people hated Albert on this forum Very, very interesting. I liked him for the most part. What about him don't people like? I guess maybe because it was so fictional and deviated from the books.

catsmeow3

[17]Oct 22, 2007
    A better question is, what is there to like about him! Here's why:

He was responsible for the death of Alice and Adam Jr. as well as Sylvia and her fetus. He's an arsonist, drug addict, gang member, thief, hit a teacher, ran away seven times, incessant whining, screeching, con artist, liar, and so annoying.

I got sick of him excelling at everything, you know, books, football, coffin building, raising cattle, farming, human resources, daredevil, basket weaving, outsmarting Pa and other adults. It was embarrassing how he got over on Pa.

I don't like how he came on the show and became the center of attention, he took stories away from Laura, he wasn't interesting, he didn't come across to me as smart, but rather slow.

I feel he was shoved down our throats. He literally got away with murder, and never once got punished!

It has nothing to do with him being a fictional character.

ecgirl08

[18]Oct 25, 2007

Wow, you are most definitely an Albert hater Very interesting take on the character, bringing up things that I never really thought about much. I can't say that I think Albert ever intentionally meant to be responsible for any deaths--sadly, that just happens sometimes--and I certainly never saw him as a bad seed, but again, it's interesting to hear what other people think. We all have our favorite and least favorite characters.

As for Albert taking away from storylines that could have belonged to Laura, I never felt that this was what was going on. In the early years, when Albert came along and the two of them were kids, they were portrayed as being the best of friends, and a lot of their storylines took place with each other, in episodes like "The Odyssey" and "The Enchanted Cottage." If Albert got any plot material of his own, it was probably only to mix things up a little and shift the focus for a while. Laura was central to the whole series, but they couldn't have every single episode belong to her. She continued to play a key role, even with him around.

And maybe Charles was lenient with Albert every now and again because he was "the son," but in Charles' defense, he was never particularly strict with any of his kids, at least not in a significant way. If I recall, he let Laura off the hook quite a bit, too.

Edited on 10/25/2007 3:46pm
    Edited 3 total times.

JediSnoopy

[19]Oct 27, 2007

Albert was certainly a troubled young man.

Within five years, he went from living on the streets of Winoka with no education and stealing to survive to moving in with a family, becoming an adept scholar with dreams of being a doctor, finding his biological father, accidentally causing the deaths of several people, moving away and becoming a drug addict and dying of a rare blood disease.

Now, as for being a murderer, the deaths of Alice Garvey and Adam, Jr. were accidents. Sure, he caused the fire by throwing away a pipe, but it's hardly as if he deliberately torched the blind school to spite everyone. He also did not purposely cause Sylvia's death - he was simply very naive in trusting the mysterious blacksmith.

He was more responsible for his own drug addiction as surely he had encountered such things inWinoka and wasn't tempted bythem.

millerem99

[20]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 51

My favorite character was Mr. Edwards, when he wasn't drunk. I liked his gruff sense of humor and the fact that he was such a tenderheart underneath, even though he was a hot-head when riled.

Least favorite would have to be Albert, for all the same reasons mentioned by Catsmeow...and also was perpetually annoyed by the peculiar shape of his upper lip.