Mr. Edwards and Family

mag7na

[1]May 10, 2006
    • level: 1
    Hello!  I recently started watching the reruns of LHOP and have been enjoying them so much.  In one of the episodes, Mr. Edwards marries Grace and they later adopt three orphaned children.  My question is:  in much later episodes Grace and the children have disappeared.  Can anyone tell me what became of them?  Thanks very much.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hotpickles23

[2]May 10, 2006
    • level: 2
    really i realized that to .. but i watched a other episode !! grace and mr edwards were like ( u know how orphan children stay with a family unstead of a orphanage)!!! well anywayz i think thats it!!

Bobbi01

[3]May 11, 2006
    • level: 4

I am glad you asked because I had the same question when I watch the show, but forget to post the question here!  If I remember correctly, Grace died in a fire at the blind school.  The fire was caused by boys smoking (was it Albert?) One of the boys, (the oldest - John?)  relocated to the city (not sure which one) and went to college and worked for the newspaper.  I believe he was engaged to Mary for a while but she broke it off when she came to visit him (while her father represented the Grange) and found that she wasn't the only girl in his life.

If anyone knows about whatever happened to the other children, let us know! 

mag7na

[4]May 11, 2006
       If I remember correctly (and I'm not too sure about that!) Alice Garvey died in the fire at the blind school along with Mary and Adam's baby.  The fire was started by Albert and another boy (not sure who it was) smoking in t he cellar.  So it's still a mystery as to what happened to Grace Edwards and the kids.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

mag7na

[5]May 11, 2006
    Okay, it's all starting to come back to me.  I saw an episode this afternoon where Charles & Mary go to Chicago for a Grange meeting and to see John.  Mary ends up breaking up with John because he doesn't love her anymore.  That reminded me that in a later episode, Charles goes to Chicago to comfort Mr. Edwards because John was killed in a street accident.  But I don't recall if Grace and the other two children are mentioned and what became of them.....Help!!! It's driving me nuts!!

Bobbi01

[6]May 16, 2006
    • level: 4

Thank you for correcting me that it was Alice Garvey.  To make things interesting on this thread, what ever happened to the Garveys?  It seems when series go so long as this one, with people 'coming and going' they get lost. And with the refresher, I do remember that John died in the city

jessamaca

[7]May 17, 2006
    • level: 3
    mr.edwards started drinking so grace took the kids and left Walnut Grove

ChristinaSapph

[8]May 29, 2006
    I know I missed some episodes in the middle somewhere, but I know Mr. Edwards, Grace, and their children had moved & lived way outside of Walnut Grove for awhile. Somehow, Mr. Edwards had developed a very bad drinking habit and was constantly drunk and humiliating his family. When Mr. Edwards showed up drunk yet again on his son's birthday, Grace said she couldn't take it anymore. She said she wanted a promt divorce, and for Mr. Edwards to leave. So, he traveled back to Walnut Grove where he was welcomed by Charles, Laura & everyone else. However, he lied about his parting with Grace, keeping it and his alcoholism a secret. However, his drinking habit didn't remain hidden for long. Albert caught Mr. Edwards very drunk at a bar, and when Mr. Edwards insisted on giving Albert a ride home nonetheless, he crashed the cart and Albert was nearly paralized. At this point, everyone found out why Mr. Edwards had really come to Walnut Grove, and about his alcohol problem. Eventually, Mr. Edwards gets his act back together and everyone forgives him, though Grace refuses to ever take him back and sends him one last letter telling him she's finalized the divorce and met another man. I never saw Grace or the kids again after this.

ameliajane12

[9]Aug 12, 2006
    mary didnt die in the fire at the blind school just alice garvey and mary and adams baby had died

Mac-Ale

[10]Sep 12, 2006
    • level: 60
    Mr. Edwards and Grace marry and adopt the children John Jr., Carl, and Alicia after Mrs. Sanderson dies. (season 2, "Remember Me")

John Jr. and Mary fall in love in season 2 (last episode, "Going Home") and get engaged in season 3. John accepts a scholarship to go to college in Chicago. (season 3, "I'll Ride the Wind")

The Edwards (without John Jr. who is at school) and Ingalls families move to the Black Hills to try panning for gold, the Edwards never return to Walnut Grove. (end of season 3, "Gold Country") The Garvey's "replace" the Edwards as Ingall's family friends in Walnut Grove beginning in season 4.

Mary and John Jr. separate and end their engagement, after Mary and Charles visit Chicago and realize that John Jr. is seeing another woman (season 4 "Times of Change")

Edwards and Grace, still with Carl and Alicia, live to the west in timber country. Edwards injures himself in a logging accident and becomes suicidal. Laura and Charles leave Walnut Grove to visit him and try to help. (season 6, "The Return of Mr. Edwards")

The Edwards learn that John Jr. has been killed, Charles meets Mr. Edwards in Chicago and they discover it was murder. Edwards begins drinking to deal with the pain. (season 8, "Chicago")

Edwards can't stop drinking and is thrown out of his house by Grace, Grace keeps Carl and Alicia with her. Mr, Edwards returns to Walnut Grove and learns through a letter that Grace has filed for divorce and is re-marrying. (season 8, "A Promise to Keep")
    Edited on 09/12/2006 2:25pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Mac-Ale

[11]Sep 12, 2006
    As far as the Garveys, Alice does die in the fire at the Walnut Grove blind school. (season 6 "May We Make Them Proud").

In season 7, Jonathan and Andy Garvey move to Sleepy Eye, where Jonathan runs a shipping and warehouse company. Jonathan becomes deputy sherrif for at least that episode. He appears occasionally in episodes where Charles is involved in shipping to Sleepy Eye and in some of the last episodes where Mary and Adam are at the blind school in Sleepy eye (for example "The In-Laws", the first part of "The Lost Ones" where Charles, Albert and the Cooper family set off and James and Cassandra are left orphans). The end of season 7 was the end of the Garveys on Little House.

ceosmom

[12]Oct 3, 2006
    • level: 20
    Victor French (Mr. Edwards) was often at odds with the producers/directors of LHOTP. The Garvey family was introduced during a time when French wasn't cooperating, to sort of "fill in the gap". Notice throughout the series run that when the Edwards family is in the show, the Garveys aren't. There may be a rare exception in and episode or two, but I can't think of an example.

Mac-Ale

[13]Oct 4, 2006
    "The Return of Mr. Edwards" takes place in season 6, but Charles and Laura journey west to see him after he is injured by a falling tree...none of the Garveys and Edwards ever cross paths in the same episode, and they never meet as far as the series shows...