Mrs. Olsen

Bobbi01

[1]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    I am not an expert on the time period that the story takes place, but I was watching the show the other day and Mrs Olsen is participating in an Elders meeting at the church.  During that time period, I don't see  a woman participating as a elder (same as a member of the school board on another show).   I think they just added this for some 'drama' on the show.  Anyone else have comments on this?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jknappfan

[2]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 1

I think you are right. Back then they would not have been so willing to allow a woman on the seat of elder in a church.

I think it was for drama sake myself. 

alaska_amber

[3]Aug 15, 2006
    • level: 9
    I do not like Mrs. Olsen I have been wanting her to die ever sence the show was on the air ..... lol. not a very nice thing to want but she just makes me so mad and I don't like watching a sweet show with a mean old hag like that on it to answer your comment your right no way no how would a woman have ever been in charge of anything even with the store most people would not have bought from her it would have had to be a man , back then things were very much a mans world very sad but yet very true . kinda stinks if you ask me but thats just the way things were done in the old days ...... ttyl -Amber

Darrell1012

[4]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 3
    i think that mrs. olson provides comic relief. lol

Darrell1012

[5]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 3
    i think they did it because if they didn't mrs. olson would have done or said something behind their backs.

twilliams606

[6]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 7
    Darrell1012 wrote:
    i think that mrs. olson provides comic relief. lol

I agree and don't you love it when Nels stands up to her? It makes me so happy lol

JediSnoopy

[7]Sep 30, 2006
    • level: 13

You bring up a good point about Mrs. Oleson being involved in the voting in of a church member.  A woman at that time would not have been involved in that procedure.  They included her to get the vote tied along with Judd Larrabee so that Nels would have to break the tie in favor of allowing Joe Kagen to join.

Although Mrs. Oleson had several bad qualities, she also exhibited some tender moments. We gain insight into her character in "The Reincarnation of Nellie", pt. 1.  She tells Nancy that she had been spoiled as a child and raised her daughter the same way.  Harriet feels loved when she is amassing material wealth and that is how she shows her love to her children.  Misguided, but still helpful in understanding her character.

She stood up to Larrabee who objected to the black children living at the blind school, she worked tirelessly to help her children during both epidemics, and she did love Nels though her skills at housekeeping and cooking were questionable.

millerem99

[8]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 51

Bobbi01 wrote:
    I am not an expert on the time period that the story takes place, but I was watching the show the other day and Mrs Olsen is participating in an Elders meeting at the church. During that time period, I don't see a woman participating as a elder (same as a member of the school board on another show). I think they just added this for some 'drama' on the show. Anyone else have comments on this?

There is also quite a bit of mention in various episodes by Harriet about her "personal property", which she holds over Nels' head. However, with both the restaurant and mercantile she would have had no say nor rights as women in that time period were considered 2nd-clas*s citizens without rights to property. Their husbands were entitled to all they had.