Questions/observations about "I'll be waving as you drive away"

walnutgrove

[1]Sep 20, 2009
    • level: 6

I managed to check out this two-part episode from the local library. It was by Imavision (sucky) on one dvd. They cut the you-know-what out of it! There were times where I knew that a whole scene had been chopped off! That makes me furious!

Does anyone have the uncut version of these episodes? I am curious if the first time that Adam and Mary kiss is in front of the Ingalls. Somehow, I cannot believe that. I think the scene earlier where they touch each other's faces must be when they kiss for the first time. How could they possibly think it was okay to snip footage from such a special scene? But since I am not sure, I am asking you guys...

Also, I wonder if anyone else besides me feels that Part 2 is superior to Part 1. I almost feel they are entirely different episodes! The acting in Part 1 is uncharacteristically overdone for Melissa Gilbert and Michael Landon. They were such fine actors that it simply is astonishing how much they emote. It's a serious topic, to be sure, not to mention a totally emotional one. But these two are not particularly convincing to me in the first part. Also, I think Missy (MSA) and the actor who played Adam did fine jobs...

Edited on 09/20/2009 6:23pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Polexia_

[2]Sep 22, 2009
    • level: 2
    I agree that the kiss in front of the Ingall's when they're leaving seems a very weird place for a first kiss. I watched the ep on YouTube but maybe it was cut? They didn't kiss in the schoolroom. Weird, isn't it? Seems like that would be a private moment.

catsmeow3

[3]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 13
    I happen to believe that's ML's finest piece of acting, that HE should have be nominated for the Emmy. MSA chews up the scenery a little too much in part 1, I think she should have toned it down a little, it was too much of a pity party, but in part 2 she was right on cue and nailed it.

walnutgrove

[4]Sep 24, 2009

It's funny you should say that (regarding ML's performance) because I was shocked at how exaggerated I thought it was and I think he was a terrific actor! To me, it was almost like a different person. And Melissa Gilbert could cry on a dime and she is over-emoting, too. It looks like gycerin tears, LOL.

Edited on 09/24/2009 9:26pm

walnutgrove

[5]Sep 24, 2009
    I suspected that they first kiss when they were feeling up each other's faces while sitting on the piano bench.

catsmeow3

[6]Sep 26, 2009

WalnutGrove, here is a deleted scene, not the one you want though, it's the scene where Pa tells Ma Mary's going to go blind. Enjoy, but have a tissue in hand first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apgh4zH4Q0I&feature=channel

walnutgrove

[7]Oct 6, 2009

Thanks for that! In the Imavision version they have Charles getting the tragic news and then he's telling Maw that he's gonna tell Mary and Maw is about to cry, which means she knows about the blind diagnosis. Yup, it's really sad. But you should always keep some Kleenex handy whilst watching "LHOTP," LOL.

catsmeow3

[8]Oct 10, 2009
    I know somebody who rates the episodes by the number of tissues it takes to get through an episode, actually it a fairly accurate rating system if you think about it!