Radames Pera

billhawks

[1]May 28, 2007
    • level: 2

I read an interview with Radanes Pera(John Jr.) on the "Prairie Fans" website. In the interview he was asked about working with Michael Landon and Victor French. Mr Pera says when Victor French left LHOTP to star in "Carter Country" Michael was very upset because Victor did not inform him of his plans until Victor already had the new job. This caused Michael to write Mr Edwards entire family out of the show. 

Michael Landon wrote a script about John Jr. called "Times of Change". In this episode Charles goes to Chicago for a Grange meeting and takes Mary along to see her fiance John Jr who is two-timing her. Mr. Pera says there was a dinner scene with Charles, Mary and himself where Charles asks John Jr. "So, are you coming back to Walnut Grove, or are you going to visit your folks out in California". Pera says with that one line, the Edwards family was gone, and that this was meant to be a slap at Victor French.

After reading Radames quote I used it in our "Quote Game" and now I find that not only does the quote not exist on my DVD but neither does the Scene. I am now wondering whether this scene exists on the reruns on Hallmark or Tvland? Has anymore seen this scene in the "Times of Change" episode or any episode? Im puzzled--what does anyone think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[2]May 28, 2007
    • level: 60
    I am pretty positive that it never ran and I remember that episode very well from its first showing on NBC. Landon may very well have scripted it, or even filmed it - by that time French was definitely gone and Pera may be remembering the hard feelings as much as the exact lines. The gist of the final script pretty much plants John Jr. in Chicago anyways, so a reference to a visit would be pretty off-hand - if it was filmed, I bet it was chopped in editing for good reason.
    Edited on 05/28/2007 2:05pm

catsmeow3

[3]May 29, 2007
    • level: 13
    I've never seen it either. I've always wondered where exactly Mr Edwards lived after "Gold Country", we next see him in "The Return Of Mr Edward's", there's no way Pa and Laura traveled all the way to California, and it's not mentioned where, so I think this adds to it that the scene was never included. I've read Pera's interview too, and wondered the same thing, he seemed to know what he was talking about, he's very articulate.

Mac-Ale

[4]May 29, 2007
    • level: 60
    I actually think that Pera got that wrong too. It seems far more likely that the families would have moved to the northern Black Hills after gold was discovered there in the 1870s and that later, the Edwards settled in "timber country" of any number of northern states. The California rush to pan gold and stake claims was largely over by the Civil War.

One thing that's often true is that actors don't remember scenes they have filmed as far as plot points nearly as well as fans of the show - it makes sense, scenes are often shot out of order and actors rarely tune into parts of storylines that they don't play in. But I bet that Pera does remember some of the rancor at the time, though its hard to know exactly how angry French and Landon were, accounts seem to conflict on that too.

catsmeow3

[5]May 29, 2007
    Maybe one of you guys would know this if you have the season 6 DVD or remember the first run? In "May We Make Them Proud", notes say there's a scene where at Nellie's Restaurant where a nasty Nellie confronts the hard-to-please customer inside her restaurant with an uncooked chicken, then bats him over the head with it. I've never seen this on the Hallmark or TV Land episode. Did this scene exist or has it been edited out?

JediSnoopy

[6]May 30, 2007

I have seen Nellie hit the customer over the head with the chicken.  I cannot remember if it was in that episode, specifically, though.

As for Pera's interview, it may have been planned to include the line or filmed and edited out.  Doubtlessly, Landon was hurt over French's departure as it required eliminating several members of the cast along with him and casting new actors to play friends of the Ingalls.  French, on the other hand, may have considered it wise to find a new job before quitting his actual one (something many people feel is a good idea), especially in Hollywood where another job is not a guarantee.   Nevertheless, he suffered the same fate as many who leave a popular show to do their own thing when "Carter Country" did not last long.

It appears, however, that Landon eventually forgave him as he brough French back not only to "Little House...", but cast him in "Highway to Heaven".

randi_

[7]Jun 24, 2014
    • level: 1

I can confirm that there is indeed a version of the episode "Times of Change" that includes a scene where Charles Ingalls asks John Jr, "So, are you coming back to Walnut Grove, or are you going to visit your folks out in California?" I just saw it and was very confused. I've never seen the whole series before, just scattered episodes here and there (something I'm remedying now), so I didn't realize Mr. Edwards and family were written out of the show (temporarily or otherwise). The line about John, Jr.'s folks being in California left me thinking that somehow the writers forgot John, Jr's background story about his parents being dead and that he was among the children adopted by Mr. Edwards and Grace.

Some shows, even those with superb writing like MASH, often have continuity errors like that, but Little House on the Prairie seems to do a fairly good job with continuity (other than students at the school or other townsfolk popping up and disappearing just as fast while supposedly they were very close with the Ingalls family all along).

Anyway, my confusion over the line led me to Google it to try to figure out what was going on. That search landed me here. It's kind of funny that the person who knew about the line and its explanation had never actually seen it and doubted its existence, while I had seen the line and couldn't make any sense out of it. I thought I'd chime in regardless of how old this thread is just to bring some closure to this issue.

Edited on 06/24/2014 2:38am
    Edited 2 total times.