TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

season nine

princessgirl116

[1]Jul 29, 2006
    • level: 4
    i am not very famililar with the later seasons like nine and in times are changing it says the ingalls leave walnut grove and then the rest of season nine the only ingalls the episode summeries ever mention again is Laura. this might be a stupid question but i have not seen this season. Is pa ma and the rest of lauras family in season nine after times are changing. or what happened with that. if someone can explain to me what happened it would be very appreciated.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

[2]Jul 31, 2006
    • level: 7
    The Ingalls family (except Laura) all move to Iowa and only Charles and Albert are seen in some episodes in the later seasons. I don't know why they got rid of Caroline and the rest of them. Now the show is kind of empty, but I still love it! Hope that helps

princessgirl116

[3]Aug 1, 2006

Thankyou

MaxPointy

[4]Aug 11, 2006
    • level: 2
    For what it's worth, from some of Caroline's dialogue, Carrie, Grace, James and Cassandra were already settled in school, a new church, had made new friends etc., so even though they had left Walnut Grove, things did turn out OK in the end.

Albert on the other hand...not so good.

JediSnoopy

[5]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 13

Charles and Albert return in "Home Again"  That's the only appearance by the rest of the family in season 9 proper.  Three made-for-tv movies were made in which Charles and Albert returned again.  In "The Last Farewell", Charles and Caroline return.

References are made to the other children, but we never see them again.

catsmeow3

[6]Jun 1, 2007
    Caroline, James and Cassandra didn't appear in "Home Again". Albert was in only one TV movie "Look Back To Yesterday", Michael Landon wasn't even in "Bless All The Dear Children".

lisgirl978

[7]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 10
    Landon did do an overvoice in Bless All the Dear Children, though.

A lot of Little House fans strongly dislike Season 9 because they find it hard to accept the absence of good ol' Ma and Pa Ingalls, not to mention little Carrie and Grace and all those people that don't really exist but have become part of the Ingalls family -- Albert and James and Cassandra. Season 9 strictly centers around Laura and Almanzo and Baby Rose, along with an adopted niece Jenny. The new family in the Ingalls' house, the Carters, also are important characters.

I know many people don't like this season for that reason, but I actually really enjoy Season 9. I think its so cool to see how different Laura is, now grown up and all, a true woman with two children and everything. I really love watching everybody after they've grown. Something that's a lot of fun (for me, at least): Watch the pilot movie or Harvest of Friends. Then immediately watch The Last Farewell afterwards. It is so interesting to see the change in the characters-- both physically and emotionally. Especially Laura, of course. In the pilot she's this little tiny, tiny girl with buck teeth and is so adventurous but inexperienced. In the Last Farewell she's grown, strong, smart, not to mention much older and has had braces fix those teeth. lol.

catsmeow3

[8]Jun 2, 2007
    I like season 9, it's not bad at all, just different, it's too bad there was no season 10.

Idolmaniac

[9]Jun 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    Something i have wondered about for a long time. Why did Michael Landon and Karen Grassle leave the show after season 8. Did they just want to leave or did they decide to take the show in a new direction and get rid of them. I know that Micheal Landon was involved with the show until the last episode, i was just wondering why they left. I liked season 9 okay enough, it just seemed different without the Ingalls family. I would have preferred for them not to have introduced the Carter family however, they just weren't the same.

catsmeow3

[10]Jun 9, 2007
    Karen Grassle left the show at the end of season 8 to marry and move to I think Kentucky; they couldn't exactly stay in WG without Ma.

lisgirl978

[11]Jun 9, 2007
    • level: 10
    That darn Ma! I guess there's some way they could have done it... like had her go to the hospital or something... but I guess it just made more sense to keep them all together.

catsmeow3

[12]Jun 9, 2007

I'm glad they didn't send her to a leper colony, people would have screamed WALTONS! They doing that to Livie was a bad move and John Boy 2, how desperate.

Edited on 06/10/2007 1:09pm

ceosmom

[13]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 20
    they DID send Harriet away, in, The Last Farewell, remember? She was hospitalized somewhere. Remember when they got rid of Edith Bunker? What an uproar that caused! If you get rid of a TV mom folks love, it's trouble. lol
    Edited on 06/10/2007 12:01pm

ecgirl08

[14]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 57

I thought it was strange to write Harriet out as being in the hospital. I always wished they had written her out differently, at least, like maybe going away on business to buy things for the store. She was a tough character to have out of the picture, that's for sure. It's too bad she couldn't be in at least one of the movies.

laurawilder

[15]Jul 28, 2009
    Not alot of people don't like season 9 just like my mom but I like it. It's my second favorite season!!!!!!!!!!

ecgirl08

[16]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 57

I'm totally with you on that one, laurawilder! It's hard for me to pick a favorite season, but Season 9 is definitely one that I seem to enjoy the most - and it's hard to find fans who feel the same way. It was definitely a different tone, but I liked how it had more of a community "feel" to it, and it became more of an ensemble cast. Laura and Almanzo were portrayed as the top stars that year, but screen time was shared pretty equally with a lot of different characters. Plus, one of my all-time favorite episodes, "Little Lou," came from Season 9.

I also loved, loved, LOVED the Carter family--especially John and little Jason. There was just something about their family that I enjoyed watching, and I often wish that they had been brought in at about the same time the Garveys were, just so we could get to know them better. I also liked Shannen Doherty's performance as Jenny, even though she and Melissa Gilbert had some kind of "falling out" several years later! (If you read MG's memoir, "Prairie Tale," then you know what I mean, haha!)

linnalu

[17]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 1

I just purchased the entire series in July at Walnut Grove museum and my husband and I have been watching them in order ever since. While watching season 9, episode "Aldens Dilemma" I noticed a plane flying in the sunset scene. Did anyone else notice this?

DrCook920

[18]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 17

Season 9 is far from my favorite, but it does have some redeeming qualities. One of the things I like best about it is seeing how Willie has grown and matured into a fine, respectable and responsible young man.