Victorian Furniture and Period Pieces

millerem99

[1]Nov 18, 2008
    • level: 51
    One thing I enjoy looking for in the series are the ocassional Victorian furnishings and high-s*tyle art, etc. when a home of someone better off than the average local farmers is featured. The Olesons have some neat pieces in their parlor, and I like the old cook stoves that appear in different kitchens, like Almanzo and Laura's place. If anyone wants to list some episodes that feature this, please feel free to list so I can be on the look-out for them. I know in "Someone Please Love Me" the Harpers' home is decked out with these kind of furnishings, and if I remember the Widow Craig in "Preacher Takes a Wife" has some Victorian digs.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

catsmeow3

[2]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 13
    The Burton School for the Blind has some fabulous antique furnishings, so did The Widow Thurman.

ceosmom

[3]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 20

Since I'm an interior designer, specializing in custom furniture, I'm almost always looking at the sets rather than the characters, especially if there's a house or building featured that we don't normally see. Occasionally, I'll notice items that are wrong for the period; I've even made notes on some of the ep pages. I know that's nitpicking, but it's in my blood! One of the biggest offenders: "The Cheaters". There's a 1960's era chrome and glass salt and pepper set on the Garvey's kitchen table, and they also have what looks to be a very expensive and department-store-new leather wing chair in the living area. Even if it was right for the period (and it wasn't), the Garvey's couldn't have afforded it, and it was obviously purchased right before filming.

Most of the sets are very accurate; the set decorators for LHOTP really did a pretty good job, if not always a lot of research.

catsmeow3

[4]Nov 21, 2008
    • level: 13

Royal Wilder had a nice antique sofa and chairs in "The Nephews".

millerem99

[5]Nov 21, 2008
    Although not much of it is shown (at least not on Hallmark), the Barton's home on "To See the Light (2)" is pretty elegant. Love the window dressings in Adam's room.

millerem99

[6]Nov 24, 2008

I was watching "The Nephews" today and in the beginning of the episode they show the inside of Royal Wilder's (the first one, who's Jenny-less) and his wife's townhome, and it has some neat furnishings. Of course, their boys promptly break a few of the items.

DrCook920

[7]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 17
    The Carters bring a few nice pieces with them when they move into the Ingalls' house in Season 9. You don't often get just the right camera angles to check them out, but a nice table ( like an end table) can be seen in "Sins of the Father" and they have a very pretty clock. I think there's a chair, too. Something much fancier than we saw when Ma and Pa sat by the fire!

millerem99

[8]Mar 2, 2009
    catsmeow3 wrote:
    The Burton School for the Blind has some fabulous antique furnishings, so did The Widow Thurman.

I got to see "For My Lady" again recently and yes, I loved her matching parlor set.