What LHOTP character do you think fell on the worst luck/had the roughest life?

nowirehangers

[1]Jul 20, 2007
    • level: 1

I would have to say its close between Mary and Mr Edwards. Mary had to wear glasses that time, then got really sick in another where whether she lived/died was uncertain and then of course she went blind....

but Mr Edwards...he was saposed to have lost his original family, then he adopted kids and married Grace ~lost the oldest son to death and then lost that family when he drank too much....then down the road he finally meets Jennifer, who was very young, blind, and she regained her sight..and he decided to let her go , figuring he was too old for her.AND THIS ISN'T EVEN MENTIONING 'THE WILD BOY' HE ENDED UP ADOPTING AND LOSING IN ANOTHER EPISODE. I just feel bad for him! He was such a good natured,ornary fellow, such a great guy...He seemed to have lost his life's loves and the kids in his life. SO SAD!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

catsmeow3

[2]Jul 20, 2007
    • level: 13
    One could argue Nels had it the worst, he had to live with Harriet on a daily basis!
    Edited on 07/20/2007 6:30pm

millerem99

[3]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 51

catsmeow3 wrote:
    One could argue Nels had it the worst, he had to live with Harriet on a daily basis!

and as soon as Nellie reformed and moved out, he was presented with Nancy.

I think Mr. Edwards had a real time of it. Never lucky in love, and his kids either died mysteriously or he lost custody of them somehow.

ThaT-Masta

[4]Jul 24, 2007
    • level: 2
    Nels, he always had to put up with Harriot and Nellie, and after Nellie, was Nancy.

AdamKendall

[5]Jul 27, 2007

Mary DEFINITELY had the hardest life. Mr. Edwards' life may have been rough, but a lot of his problems were things he brought upon himself. If he would have been so stubborn or drunk or mean or whatever, most of those problems wouldn't have occurred.

Mary, on the other hand, got scarlet fever as a child, went through the whole glasses thing, went blind, miscarried, thought she was regaining her sight but then found out she was just imagining it, was in a stagecoach accident when Adam's legs got crushed and then Mary's glasses started the grass on fire, had a baby that like 3 episodes later was killed in a terrible fire, etc. There was nothing Mary could do about any of these things. She had the right to go crazy as many times as she did. I think Mr. Edwards was slightly crazy from the start. He royally ticked me off in the episode where Laura and Charles went to visit the Edwards family and Mr. Edwards was laid up and had become a complete JERK to his family. After that point, I have no sympathy for him!!! But Mary definitely can't seem to catch a break!!!

JediSnoopy

[6]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 13

Jonathan Garvey - the old hot-head - seemed to have a lot of problems, too. His barn burns down, he and Alice nearly get divorced (a couple of times) and he loses her in another fire. He finally has to move and gets harassed after trying to start a new life.

Albert: I know few here have sympathy for him. Abandoned as a small child, raised in a cold, unsympathetic orphanage, lives off the streets and adopted by a loving family. Every single girlfriend dies or moves away, he gets addicted to drugs, he gets a terminal blood disease...

ceparker72

[7]Aug 6, 2007
    I would have to sayMr. Edwards, J. Garvey (as well as Andy) and Mary- pretty much for the same reasons listed in the posts above.

Fallaya

[8]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 7

Definitely Mary!! She was the "Kellie Taylor" of Little House!!

As a runner-up, I'd choose Nels Oleson. His wife was a beotch, his kids were brats, he had to be the mediator between his wife and the entire town, etc.

laurawilder

[9]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 4
    I would have to say Alice Garvey. She was my fav. and I was so said when I found out she died.

lhotpdisney

[10]Jul 29, 2009
    • level: 9

For many of the reasons above,

1. Mary

2. Nels

3. Garveys

DrCook920

[11]Jul 29, 2009
    • level: 17

catsmeow3 wrote:

ROFLMAO!!! That gets my vote!

ricemilkisgood

[12]Aug 11, 2009
    • level: 3
    JediSnoopy wrote:

Jonathan Garvey - the old hot-head - seemed to have a lot of problems, too. His barn burns down, he and Alice nearly get divorced (a couple of times) and he loses her in another fire. He finally has to move and gets harassed after trying to start a new life.

Albert: I know few here have sympathy for him. Abandoned as a small child, raised in a cold, unsympathetic orphanage, lives off the streets and adopted by a loving family. Every single girlfriend dies or moves away, he gets addicted to drugs, he gets a terminal blood disease...

I was going to say Albert too, and poor Mr.Edwards couldn't read or write, that's pretty tough!

SummitRealty

[13]Oct 13, 2009

Mary definitely had the hardest life. Mr. Edwards' life may have been rough, but a lot of his problems were things he brought upon himself. If he would have been so stubborn or drunk or mean or whatever, most of those problems wouldn't have occurred

Edited on 04/29/2010 3:29pm
    Edited 5 total times.

ecgirl08

[14]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 57

Obviously, Mary, Mr. Edwards, and Nels are the top three characters with the toughest life, from the looks of this board. I doubt any other characters could compare with what they went through. Honestly, whenever this question came up, Mary and Edwards came to mind FIRST, but I never stopped to think that Nels was absolutely the most put-upon, hands down. When you think about it, despite all the horrible things she had to deal with, Mary had a VERY loving and loyal husband who never left her side (at least in the show, not in real life). Mr. Edwards had Grace and the kids for a long time, and even after they left him, Laura and the Ingalls family kept believing in him and being his friend. Nels had friends in town, but from beginning to end, he was basically the thankless husband/father who was never truly respected by his family, and his friends knew what Harriet and the kids were like, but I don't think they ever fully understood what Nels had to endure at home. In material terms, he was the wealthiest man in town, which made it hard for some people to imagine how miserable he must have been, ESPECIALLY since he never complained about anything.

That's what makes me sympathize with Nels the most--he never threw himself a pity party or withdrew from society, unlike Edwards and Mary. The worst he did was in Season 6's "Second Spring," which certainly was not innocent on his part, but even with that, he handled it himself and didn't ask anyone to feel sorry for him.

snake63

[15]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 21
    As much as everybody hates Albert its him because he dies so young.

the-outsiders

[16]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 1
    Albert and Mary probably have it the worst. I'm glad Mary can finally accept the fact that she's blind and I'm also glad that she ends up marrying Adam! As for Albert, I always cry when I watch "Look Back to Yesterday," which is the episode in which Albert "supposedly" dies. It's never straightforward with whether he dies or not, but most people, including me, assume that he dies I feel so bad for him, though, because it's a little while after his morphine addiction and he's trying to make a life for himself (becoming a doctor), when he is told he has a blood disorder. Can't we feel a little sympathy for him??