What was up with Carrie's character and the actresses who played her?

walnutgrove

[1]Dec 9, 2008
    • level: 6
    I believe the twins were born in 1970, which would have made them almost 4-years-old when the series premiered. Having no children of my own, I may be ignorant about these things, but it appears that Carrie was small for her age, as well as delayed in speech. It's not merely that she was not given more dialog; I can tell that early on she did not seem able to pronounce words clearly and I would think that a girl of preschool age would be able to do so. Even in the 2nd and 3rd seasons, she did not seem at the developmental level of others her age. What is interesting, though, is that I just saw a later episode and she appeared to have caught up so I am curious if anyone has more info on all this...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ecgirl08

[2]Dec 11, 2008
    • level: 57
    I don't know if they were quite four years old when the show premiered. As I recall, Lindsay Greenbush once said that they were two in the pilot, and they turned three shortly after.
    Edited on 12/11/2008 2:41pm

walnutgrove

[3]Dec 13, 2008

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0338645/

If the pilot was shot in 1974, when the first show aired, they would have turned four that May. She (they) seemed to have speech delay; that is why I think the writers kept their dialogue to a minimum. In later episodes, they got a little more screen time, but I just saw an episode from Season 4 and the way Carrie talked and acted seemed more expected for someone much younger.

catsmeow3

[4]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 13

I just recently posted almost the same exact question on another LH board. Melissa Gilbert says they were two and I quote her "tiny, tiny babies", LSG says she was two, but the birth dates don't match this unless they're wrong, they should be 4 in the Pilot, but in season one they talk and run like they're 2ish, they can't enunciate, four year olds should be able to, they probably are smaller being twins, honestly they never seemed exactly, how should I say it, um bright, so it's my opinion that they were either developmentally delayed or they lied about their birthdays for child labor reasons (or both).

ecgirl08

[5]Dec 18, 2008

I'm not exactly sure about their ages, so I could be completely wrong, but just by looking at them in the pilot, there's no way they were four. It's possible that they were three, but not older than that. It's possible that the pilot was filmed much earlier, before it aired. Again, though, I'm not positive. All I know is that I listened to an audio interview from Lindsay Greenbush on prairiefans.com, and I'm almost sure that she said they were going on three years old during filming. Also, as catsmeow said, Melissa Gilbert said in an interview once, "They were baby, baby, babies. They were two years old. Tiny little babies."

Auronff10

[6]Dec 31, 2008
    • level: 2
    Although they kinda look retarded there was nothing wrong with the twins except their extremely bad acting. ML should have replaced them in season 2 or 3.

ecgirl08

[7]Dec 31, 2008
    Who is ML? I always thought that Kyle Richards, who played Alicia Sanderson-Edwards, could have made a pretty good Carrie. She had the most beautiful and expressive eyes, and I think she was a bit older than the Greenbushes, which meant that the age gap between Laura and Carrie would have been more like it was in real life. Laura and Carrie were about 6 years apart in the series, but in real life, they were much closer in age.

catsmeow3

[8]Jan 1, 2009
    ECGirl, of course you know who ML is. Michael Landon, duh lol.

Polexia_

[9]Jan 4, 2009
    No offense to the girls but Carrie did seem like she was behind everyone else. I always wondered what the heck was up with her. Remember when she fell down that well and Caroline is calling to her? The voice that comes back is this really deadpan moan of "Mahhh-muuuh." I think of them that way now. The show never used them enough. Carrie could have done a lot more than falling down a well (a perfect excuse not to actually use her when the episode is all about her?) and then having her shout in her monotone, "Alliiissa! Alissssaaa!" in that episode. They just kept importing more and more kids instead of using her.

walnutgrove

[10]Jan 4, 2009
    If they had some developmental issues, it's really not fair to judge their acting ability. What probably happened is that when they were hired, their challenge(s) were not apparent and the producers decided (when the issues became obvious) to keep the same actresses. If you notice how they talk, it is similar to a deaf person's speech impediment. When they were older, I believe the problems were less obvious.

JediSnoopy

[11]Jan 5, 2009
    Since they were twins, they may have developed smaller than is normal for their age. Additionally, with all due respect to those behind LHOTP, Hollywood has traditionally not been known for its high standards when educating and socializing its young actors and actresses. If the twins had developmental problems, they probably went unnoticed.

ecgirl08

[12]Jan 5, 2009

LOL, I can't believe I didn't figure out that it stood for Michael Landon--I should have totally known that!! LOL, thanks for the reminder, catsmeow Hopefully I won't get another brain lapse like that!

And yes, I agree with you, WalnutGrove, in that the girls' monotone became much less apparent in the later years. Actually, in Seasons 7 and 8, Lindsay and Sidney were MUCH better, and their dialogue flowed more naturally. I'm thinking particularly of that scene from Season 8's "Uncle Jed," when Carrie and Cassandra were talking up in the loft about having servants and living in a big house. Does anyone else remember that part? I don't know which Greenbush girl it was (I think it was Sidney), but that was one of her stronger scenes in the entire series. She did a nice job. It would have been interesting to see Carrie in another large role in that 8th season, just to see how the girls would have handled it. They deserved to have another chance to redeem themselves after "The Godsister." The more I think about it, the more I think the Greenbushes were NOT at fault with that episode. The writers and directors were also largely to blame, for putting them in a situation like that. Even a great young actress like Melissa Gilbert would have had trouble pulling off such a ridiculous plot. However, I will stop there, because the "Godsister" discussion has made its rounds in this forum, and there's really no point in digging it up again.

Edited on 01/05/2009 11:48am
    Edited 3 total times.

walnutgrove

[13]Jan 6, 2009

Regarding "The Godsister" episode with the twins: I just wrote a review of it and one thing I noted is that I don 't think it was that bad at all. And comparing Carrie to Cassandra in a later episode: I noticed that when they stood side-by-side, Carrie was around the same height as Cassie was, yet I think Cassie was younger. And you can also compare speaking abilities and age. By the age of 7, most children are pronouncing words with ease and speaking at a fast clip. Carrie was halting in her speech, but as I noted earlier, she improved with age.

Auronff10

[14]Jan 6, 2009

There is a huge difference between Cassandra and Carrie. Missy Francis could act and the Greenbush could not Even in season 9 carrie seemed just as retarded as in the first seasons. It's a shame they did not replaced her cause there could have been a lot of carrie episodes.

btw just went to the Godsister page and saw three people who gave the Godsister a 10. They are joking right?

catsmeow3

[15]Jan 7, 2009
    The Pilot Movie was filmed January 7-27, 1974 which makes LSG 3.8 years old.

ecgirl08

[16]Jan 7, 2009

Yeah, I also noticed those three "Godsister" reviews that all gave the episode a Perfect 10 rating. Those seemed a little suspicious to me. The three reviews were each just about the same length and all contained similar terms and ideas about Lindsay and Sidney's "amazing talent" and how "wonderful" it was to have them both in the same episode. This gave me the impression that they were all written by the same person. I have my own theory on that, but I think I'll keep it to myself...