Little House on the Prairie

Gold Country

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Apr 04, 1977 on NBC

4.6
  • I really wanted to like this episode, and I tried hard to do so, but it just didn't work and I found myself longing for the family to return to Walnut Grove.

4.5
    Heavy rains which continue for many months force the Ingalls family out into "Gold Territory", along with the Edwards family, where they all intend to do some prospecting and hopefully make their fortunes.

Unfortunately, the episode, in my opinion, was about as dull as it could possibly get and was awful when you consider that it was a Season Finale.

The children are tired,cold and sick of moving around, and Caroline's patience is wearing very thin too, especially as they only make a few minor strikes and a man they have befriended is murdered for the big haul he has uncovered.

I don't think anyone was more glad than me when they decided enough was enough and headed back to their little house on the prairie.
  • This episode shows just how bad greed and money can destroy people.

In my opinion, this is one of the best of the two hour episodes of the series. Although this episode does basically end the original Little House On The Prairie book series, we all know the rest of the stories did the books justice. Even though the gold rush was over a century ago, this episodes story stays true to today. Greed and money does destroy most people. Luckily enough, Charles realizes this and addresses the community after a killing and a suicide and moves his family back to the wholesome community of Walnut Grove. This is an excellent end to the third season of this great show.