Little House on the Prairie

If I Should Wake Before I Die

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Oct 23, 1974 on NBC

• Will Miss Amy have the joy of reuniting with her family after all?

Most of the episodes of Little House on the Prairie touch you in some way, and I think episode was simply heartwarming.

Maddie and Miss Amy are two old friends who keep reminiscing about their children and their grandchildren. Their children never come to visit them, and Maddie hopes that her daughter Eliza will show up for her birthday party. When she receives a letter from Eliza, claiming that she would not be able to attend, Maddie passes away. Miss Amy notices Maddie’s children and grandchildren coming together at the funeral, and after talking to Mary and Laura, comes up with the idea to fake her death so that her children would come to see her before she really passed away. She convinces Charles and Dr. Baker to help her. They are skeptic at first, but get convinced and help her out. Will Miss Amy have the joy of reuniting with her family after all?

This episode really put tears in my eyes in the end. The reunion is very touching, and your heart really goes out to Miss Amy and her family. Josephine Hutchinson acted beautifully as the lonely Miss Amy waiting for her family. There were, of course moments of humor, especially the way everyone fools Father Gorman into performing the funeral for Miss Amy, and making him think that the real Miss Amy is Miss O’Hara, a friend of the Ingalls.

I rate this episode 10/10.