Little House on the Prairie

I'll Ride the Wind

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Jan 10, 1977 on NBC

• John Sanderson, Grace and Mr. Edwards adopted son has to choose between being a famer and taking up a literary scholarship at a Chicago university.

Grace is delighted when her adoptive son, John, is offered a scholarship, all inclusive, based on his writing, to a university in Chicago, but his father is less than impressed as he wants his son to follow him into the farming life.

To complicate matters even more, young John is in love with Mary Ingalls and wishes to marry her, but he adores his poetry writing and wants badly to take up the golden scholastic opportunity which is his for the taking.

In the end, Mr. Edwards, changes his mind and, along with Grace and Mary, convinces John to take the opportunity while he has it.

A great episode. Fun to watch all the way through.
  • John (adoptive son of Grace and Isaiah) must make a decision between college and life as a farmer married to Mary.

As in as earlier episode (I believe it was the one regarding John's clash with his adoptive father over hunting), John discusses marriage with Mary. Given her tender age, it's hard to believe that the Ingalls would approve, even when "Pa" agrees to age 15 as an acceptable age! Melissa Sue Anderson was only fourteen at the time this episode aired, and although she looks very young, her maturity is amazing. I don't think someone that age can fake that; even an actor! This episode really touches upon the inevitability of change in life, as well as the way we are torn between various possibilities. Most importantly, it illustrates how love must ultimately be unselfish.
INSP