Little House on the Prairie

Meet Me At The Fair

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Nov 28, 1977 on NBC

• reasons I LIKED this episode (well, one ;)

I agree this episode is on the low list, but I had my own reasons for liking it -- LHOP came to MY TOWN to film this episode (at Old Tucson Movie Set) and I got to be IN my favorite show at age 10, as a background person for two days (and made money to boot!). Met all of the stars (some super-fun, others snotty -- Allison Arngrim, you rocked; Melissa Gilbert, sullen and rude, but hey, she was a kid working a hard life, right?) and had a fab time. My sister bought me the season on DVD recently and at ~40, I finally got to see it since the first time it aired. When Laura is frantically looking for Carrie at the Carousel, talking to the operator, I'm the gal in red plaid at the end of the line, then I turn and you can see my face. So what if it sucked, we were kids -- none of it was really as great as the books, so make sure you start your kids there before turning to TV. I was lucky ;)

So the balloon basket was actually suspended on a big crane with a camera crew in another basket tethered a bit further down (old video methods ;). The Dad to the twins who played Carrie had to squat down inside the basket to hold his daughter so she wouldn't be so afraid up there.
  • The Ingalls and Oleson families spend the day at a large country fair.

4.5
    There are not many episodes in the entire ten-season run of this show that I wished I hadn't watched, but this is definitely one of them. Normally, I love interaction between the Ingalls' and the Olesons but not in this case. Caroline and Harriet are both hoping to win ribbons for their cooking while Laura finds herself attracted to a carnival worker and a young chap who runs a hot air balloon riding stall tries to sweep Mary off her feet. On top of all this, young Carrie, who has been entrusted to Laura's safe keeping, is constantly wandering off.

I was totally bored by this one and it's not something I would say very often. Others may like it but I did not.
  • Ah, the continuing saga of Mary Ingalls' torrid love life! Remember "Patrick" from an earlier epiosde, "Times of Change?" I think THIS episode has a case of "same character, different actor." I would've loved seeing Mike Lookinland in this episode.

Mary is usually a young woman of strong character, but she's a little shallow throughout this episode - until the end when she comes to her senses. Was Carrie written as "special?" When the balloon takes off, with her in it, she just waves and smiles. Duh. Sometimes Pa's ego was the largest in hero township. When the fire-fighters took off to put out the balloon, Pa couldn't resist hopping onto their wagon and shouting instructions! "That's a hot air ballon! Aim into the burner!" They know that, Pa.

And the Oleson vs. Ingalls rift was alive, well & fun.
  • The Ingalls and Oleson families travel to a fair. Mary wants to spend time with a carnival worker, Patrick, but is propositioned to by his boss. Laura has a hard time keeping track of Carrie.

I just watched this episode last night after not having seen it since I was about eight. Its great! I love how Mary and Laura are fighting towards the beginning and are sick of each other -- usually they're so close!

I felt really bad for Patrick. He's such a great guy, and Cass was just creepy. This is the sort of thing where you really start to like a character that's not a show regular. Unfortunately, TV Land's sound died on me at the final scene where Mary decides that Cass is a jerk, so I didn't get to hear what she says. But it worked out! YAY!

Well written and funny. The pickpocket subplot is good too!