Little House on the Prairie

Oleson Versus Oleson

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Jan 05, 1981 on NBC

• What was the point of this episode?

"Oleson Versus Oleson". All I can say about this episode is what in the world was the point of it? In it, we see Harriet and Nels fight each other about who is the one that wears the pants in the family (yet again), one leaves (yet again), and then eventually get back together (yet again).

However, the only difference is that this fight affected every citizen of the town of Walnut Grove, mainly because what the Oleson's little spat had to do with getting a law passed that gives married women fair property ownership with their husbands. The parts of the episode that I really didn't like at all was unreasonable both Charles and Caroline were regarding this law, mainly because of how they agreed on practically everything that came across their paths. Fighting about something that wasn't even a law yet can break up a union so tight as theirs, it makes you wonder what the world is coming to because of what a loving and understanding relationship they had can be strained by something so petty. Another thing that I didn't like about this episode was how it appeared that Reverend Alden was also against that law passing as well. The reason why I found that part outrageous was due to the fact that the reverend was always the voice of reason and always appeared that he would be in favor of such a law, but I guess I was wrong.

In my opinion, this was one pointless episode that the series could have done without.
INSP