Little House on the Prairie

Once Upon A Time

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Jan 24, 1983 on NBC

6.6
  • After substituting for Miss Plum, Laura decides to quench her thirst for excitement by entering a writing contest, which she wins and travels to the big city to accept. But there may be a bit of rewriting involved.

Its very interesting to see Laura's desires to do something other than be a wife and a mother since she usually seems so happy. We also get to hear an excerpt of her writing (is this from one of the actual Little House books or made up?), and accurate or not, its reminiscent of the true Laura Ingalls Wilder's writing. Once in the city, things turn for the worse with having to change her story. This is not an original plot, but Laura's strength in handling it so gracefully-- at the end, turning down the prize without offending anyone while giving her speech -- is heartwarming. And of course, we all love little Shawna Landon's appearance at the end in a flashforward to the 1980s. I don't know if I'm a wimp, but I almost began crying during that part, seeing the little girl so excited.

One thing I could have done without is Russell, the editor that was clearly in love with Laura. He was SCARY. But the final scenes, when Laura tells it like it is and he decides to finish the novel, is a pretty cool thing.

So, not original, but nevertheless exciting. A special episode that looks forward to the famous Little House on the Prairie books we've all learned to love.
INSP