Little House on the Prairie

NBC (ended 1983)

millerem99

Little House on the Prairie Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• A good historical drama, very nice characterizations and musical scoring. Suffered from some continuity problems and plot improbabilities in later seasons.

I thought this was a solid series, up through season 5, and then it lost its focus a bit, though many good episodes followed. The music and genres of the episode (comedy, tragedy, personal character development) were strong points. The show was excellent at showing relationships between people of different generations. A fact that I think often gets overlooked is that the principle Ingalls girls - Laura and Mary - were written as intelligent and capable, not just as "future romance material" or fodder to be rescued from dangerous situations. Weak points were some lacks of continuity in later episodes, improbable events (Adam regaining his sight, James recovering, etc.). Nevertheless, the characters through the years were sympathetic and generally strongly written. As with many television programs, characters coming and going did impact the overall quality of the series as a complete work. All-in-all, it did have the ability to evoke emotions and make you care about the people being presented. As a period piece, it did suffer from anachronisms, but this is to be expected from television programs that need to reach audiences of a different era.
  • This timeless series is based on the life of author Laura Ingalls Wilder. Its stories of love, faith, and friendship have stood the test of time and this excellent program is as popular today as it was when filming began over 30 years ago.

It seems as though every young girl in the 1970's was a fan of Little House. With the exception of maybe the Waltons, television in the 1970's, a post-hippie, Watergate-scandalized, women's lib decade, was top-heavy with prime-time shows designed to titilate (e.g. Charlie's Angels, Three's Company, Love Boat), rather than feed the mind and soul. In the days before a million kid-centric channels offered other options at night, LHOTP was a dependable breath of fresh air, always ready to entertain us with a tale of love, loss, or faith. The viewer could almost always expect to take something with her after watching the show. All the while, LHOTP managed to remain not-too-preachy; rather, it set standards and examples for us to live by. For these reasons, Little House took America by storm and ran a whopping 10 seasons. It can be reasonably argued, however, that the show ran at least two seasons too long, finally running out of steam (and stories) in 1984. As of 2006, LHOTP can be seen in reruns a half dozen times daily on three major cable stations, a testament to its appeal, quality, and timelessness.
  • What happy thoughts

A long-running drama based upon the auto-biographical books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Told the story of the Ingalls family, living in a frontier community in the 19th century.

Through tears, joy and really harsh saddness, this is a classic show which every young girl should sit and watch, there is nothing in this show which could cause any harm, but make you thankful for what you have.

Many a happy Sunday morning was spent in front of the television set watching this timeless show, and to this day, I still have such happy memories from it.

Lets see a re make, we deserve it
  • Little House on the Prarie is a holsome show, based off of the Little House Series by Laura Ingles Wilder. The show follows her life and the life of her family. Through their trials and tribulations.

Throught the show Laura goes through life livig mostly on the prarie. During her life there are many hard times. She is faced with lots of difficult situations. Shch as her sister loosing her sight, and her bother dying. The show also follows the lives of other families and their hardships. Such as the Garveys, the Olsens, and the Edwards. On the show laura goes from a young girl. To a woman with a family of her own. This show is great for families and genuinly show the love of a real family and life on the prarie. I love this show.
  • Awesome!

I love this show. Before I always thought it was a sissy show but after my brothers started to watch it, it stole my heart. It is now my favorite show. But I think that they should have kept the whole Ingalls family in the last 2 seasons, I still love Laura and Almonzo, but did love the Ingalls family. Then again if that's the way it happend, then that's the way it happend. This is one of the best shows on tv. So cute, touching, loving, some action and it's hilarious! I'd recommend this to anyone I know. My favorite character is ( of course ) Laura. She is the girl you always dream of being. They certainly casted it right. You actualy believe that you are watching it happen right before your eyes. But there is one down side to this show, her name is Harriet Olseon. Sometimes I just want to jump into the tv and tell her off. My favorite episode is "I Do, Again" it's so heart warming and Laura announces she's pregnat! My second favorite one is "Stone Soup" My second favorite character is Willie Olseon(when he's older and more mature).

Very cool show! Two Thumbs up!
  • Great family show!

Little House is a great program with morals and family values. It's refreshing to see a good wholesome show like this on the air in today's twisted world. The program still stands the test of time and new generations of young people are growing up with it.

The show is based on the series of books by Laura Ingalls-Wilder about her life on the praire. Michael Landon took the stories to another level and immortalized the Ingalls family in TV history. We watch Laura grow up from a child to a mother. From a little girl who couldn't read or write, to a teacher and author. Some episodes are funny and amusing, others are serious and sad.

I don't think this show has ever been off the air. The reruns are going strong and I, for one, never get tired of watching them.

• Wow! What a great show.

This show is a personal favorite of mine. What doesn't it have? In this series you see everything. Mary goes blind, baby Charles dies, Grace is born, there so much I couldn't possibly mention everything. This show is just one of those that shows alot of events that happen to real people everday. The characters teach us how to deal with things that come to us in life.

This show is also a huge classic. My little brother was in the second grade last year. His teacher was reading them one of the Little House on the Prarie books. From young to old everyone enjoys these great stories.
  • this is about afamily who lived in the big woods and family meant everything to them

this family lived in the big woods and had many hard times and good times finally they needed to move on and find a place where they could find a new place to live that the harvest would be good so they moved on and of course had to leave some family behind and of course in there new place met many new friends and they had a better harvest but also still had hard times and many years of suffering but the family always stayed to gether and helped each other
  • This is pretty good for an old TV show.

This is pretty good for an old TV show. Some episodes were funny, whereas others were downright boring. Over all, It\'s okay! I enjoyed watching the Olsen family the best in this show. I hate the intro. The stories are sometimes interesting, so this show is worth a good try!

I\'m done.
  • great stories

very great writting most made me cry have the complete dvds really love melissa gilbert michael landon was a very good director and writer i really liked the little house years i loved it when dean buttler came on to the show the very best episode was when the railroad was going to go through the town and they blew up everything but the little house on thr prairie, i cried so much
  • One of my all time favorites

This is a great show. Some parrts were off the true thing, But this show I S a classic. Its great for the family and There are some more sodramatic episodes like \"He was only twelve\" or \" Home again\" . The cast was great and made the show even more enjoyable.
  • Very great show!

I loved this show as a kid
    Growing up in Florida with my siblings
    But really my sister loves the show
    And she doesn't miss it at all
    Now that she has kids of her own
    Makes me want to buy some dvds for her
    Praying and hoping that the show will come out
    On dvd for all of the seasons
    So that she can watch the show
    When the kids are in school
    Good show for the family to watch!
  • A wholesome family show, based on a series of books. Stories of life, love, and lessons abound from Walnut Grove.

I recently rediscovered the joy in watching this show. I was looking through the channels for something that the whole family could watch together. Not an easy feat these days. I came across a \"little House On The Prairie\" marathon.
    I was quickly whisked away to the olden days in Walnut Grove. I jumped back into the Ingalls daily lives, without missing a beat. Explaining the characters to them along the way. Soon, my girls became engrossed in the magic of Walnut Grove.
    Life was simple then. You worked a long hard day, and the family pitched in when needed. The Ingalls always extended a helping hand to those in need, without thinking twice. There were the town snobs, drunks, gossips,& bullies. The Ingalls taught their girls to treat all of them with respect and kindness.
    The episodes are all woven together, into a wonderful series. The people are all memorable, no matter the story line.
    I wish there was a show that was comparable on television today, but until then, I will gladly rewatch the episodes I grew up on again, and again.
  • This show is so Wonderful

This show is so wonderful. It made me laugh and made me cry, also made me imagin what my life could be like if I lived back then. This long lasting show to me should be counted as one of the greatest shows ever on tv. Today I still watch this show when ever I have a chance.
  • This show was a classic, but was it good?

I am not an expert on Little House on the Praire by any means, I could not watch it for more than a few minutes before puking. I know everyone loved it, and it was on forever, and it won fans because of the story, but I thought it was sappy and the story lines were simple and not inspired. As I have already stated I could be wrong, but I wonder why so many found it great TV? I gave it a high rating because it was one of a kind and I hope we never see it's kind again, no, really, I hope nothing is this bad and watched by so many ever again.
  • growing up this show was the best and now i am 43 and still watch every episode. i have so many favorite episodes...but the story about sylvia was my best. i only wish michael landon were still around he was the BEST. bill polen 2-17-06

through all 10 seasons i laughed and cried. no matter what episode was on i was able through the years to go back and think that this show lives my whole life even these many years later. this show still is my favorite cause there are so many topics that hit home. i only wish that this show was still going....yet watching the ingalls grow year after year was like watching myself grow each year. i never let an episode go by without putting myself in to that t.v. as though i was in walnut grove myself. the one episode that sticks out was the episode on " Sylvia" this tore at my heartstrings the most because the ending was the most touching scene i have ever seen. i had a good cry, and even to this day this episode sticks in my mind. i have to give this series a 9.9 out of 10 there will never be a show like this one. Michael Landon if he were here today would be so happy how reruns can of such a beautiful series is seen in so many homes. i only wish that one day get to meet the cast in person and thank them personally on molding my life as if i were a part of their family. BILL POLEN 2-17-06. THANK YOU LITTLE HOUSE AND REST IN PEACE MICHAEL LANDON
  • One of the best television shows to grace our TVs!!!

What can i say about this show? It was simply wonderful. The casting was fantastic and the storylines were interesting. It was one of my favorite childhoo television shows. Not only was it clean and wholesome, it was very educational. I learned a lot of lessons in life just by watching Laura Ingalls Wilder experiencing them. I hope that they continue to air this show.
  • Still Worthy

this show is one of the better family shows of all time, the story of the Ingalls family is enduring and Touching.. the cast was perfect, well acted, great writing.. I wishthat there were still shows like it on the air today..the love that the familyy had for one another was translated to the Show very well
  • The original is always the best ...

They have recently released another adaptation of Laura Ingalls-Wilder's beloved books, but I feel nothing beats Michael Landon's 1970s classic series.

So often these TV adaptations can be a major disappointment, but this lovely series remains true to the spirit of the books while expanding the characters and introducing new themes and storylines. It was beautifully done, and something that I hope to watch with my children one day.
  • One of the best classics on TV at all times

Its good for all ages even the young ones because it teaches lessons or encourage family togetherness. its really good becuse its almost based on Laura Ingalls Wilder's books. It have drama, comedy, tragic, and religious, and most of all, reality because it shows how real people can react in the real world and teach us how things can happen for a reason.
  • A great family show

What I love about Little House on the Prairie is how it is centered around a loving family by the name of Ingalls. What I find makes the show so believable is how much love each of the characters had for each other and how hard working everyone was with the possible exeption of Nellie Oleson, Laura's rival in school and out, in addition to Nellie's mother Mrs. Oleson. That is another thing that I like about the show, it's realistic with how the children and the adults interacted with each other. Other times, there was very humorous situations that the characters got themselves into, such as when Mr. Edwards babysat the girls in the first season and nailed Carrie to the roof while he was fixing the hole in it, or in a later season when Mr. Oleson was kidnapped and Mrs. Oleson refuesd to pay his ransom. In all, I love watching the reruns of the show. It's got certain staying power to it that will most likely keep it in reruns for many years to come.
  • This show rocks! It ran for TEN seasons and was the best show of the seventies and eighties!

This show is the bomb! My favotite actors were Melissa Gilbert and Melissa Sue Anderson, along with Katherine Mcregor and Michael Landon! This show is such an influence to people with problems. I watch this show every chance I get! Although the show doesn\'t really partain to the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, it still is a heart-warmer!
  • Little House On The Prairie defined 70's television. It was fresh, fun, and full of family togetherness. In the end to 50's wholesome TV, LHOTP keep the tradition alive.

What can I say about Little House On The Prairie. This show taught me more value and lessons growing up than my own parents did. I didn't consider this just a show, but a teacher.
    I discuss LHOTP all the time. It's funny, when I talk about this show as being a sort of controversial show for the 70's, people don't believe. But when I finish, most just nod in awe.
    For example, probably what I consider the most controversial episode in Little House's life, "Sylvia." This episode was about a girl who was developing a little faster than the other girl, so of course the boys paid more attention to her, more than she wanted. Sylvia liked Albert, and he liked her. One day while Sylvia was walking home, someone grabbed her, and pulled her down. She was then raped. Sylvia became pregnant by her masked rapist.
    For a show based in the late 1880's, and being 70's television, this storyline was something you normally would not see done. It did however receive lots of awards for the "Sylvia" episode. But this episode stands out as being that episode I will never forget.
  • The best!!!

I really love this show. It gives a good message to people, not like stupid shows such as Friends, who hang at Central Perk. They don't even work?!? I never was into the series until I watched this. Awesome!! I know that it will be a favorite among generations. Infact, if most of the cast members weren't dead, it would be back by popular demand. Forget that! They should do a new Little House. One with new cast members, based on Laura Ingalls Wilder series.
  • Wonderful and heartful

Little House on the Praire is the Best TV show ever. It's heartwarming, loving, enjoyable a show for the entire family, it's rewarding. there is nothing no-one ever could say bad about this show. everybody can learn something from every episode ever made. It's the Best show ever put on TV. No TV show could ever repace this one. or compare to it. The writers were brillant and apparently has a big heart.
  • Ah, Little House, a great hour of Television.

Little House on the Prairie, my absolutely favorite TV show of all time. The characters are real and engaging and the storylines are mostly superb. I love how it looks at one family and the people around them and the pioneer period. I came onto this show late. Being only 19, I caught this show one summer about 2 years ago. My favorite characters are Albert and Mary. My least favorite would have to be Almanzo and Eliza Jane. I think its great how David Rose has a musical theme for most of the main characters.

My few complaints about this show are that people came and went and seemingly disapeared. The Garvey's for example. In "Look Back to Yesterday" (best epsidoe by the way) Laura makes it seem as if they had never really talked about them at all. I also did not like how the Edwards divorced and that Mary's baby died. While a good plot device it always seemed so unfair that Laura got everything and Mary's life well....sucked. Carrie also should of had more storylines and should not have been played so young for so long.

All in all a wonderful, wonderful show!
  • A good movie at best. Sad at some points, suspenseful at others, but oh so interesting

7.6
    While not as exciting as other movies, it still holds a lot of suspense and various scenes around the area are quite dramatic and happy...except the moving away part. Not too sad, though; I have watched this old movie as a student long ago and it is a good show to watch.
  • Little House On The Prarie is a great show to watch.

Little House On The Prarie is a great show. I like it . Laura is my favorite. Its a very good show for all people to watch. I think a lot of people will enjoy this show. It\'s very family oriented and shows us all how they lived back then. It teaches a lot about the past how they lived, how they dressed, how they worked, how they earned money to make a living. The Ignalls is a very close family. They all get along very well and every one just loves the Ignalls. How could you not? I like it.
  • Information on episode airings and marathons.

When I was a small child my mother and I used to watch it, I wasn't all to interested but of course I watched it with her anyways. Well 9 years later, (About a month ago, July 2005.) I discovered that they were playing the episodes on Halmark Channel. It was okay, I watched it but I wasn't totally obsessed. But went Mary went blind I became totally fixed. Now I look at the beggining credits to see if Adam is included in the guest stars section. Then I know Mary and Adam arwe in it so I record it. The only thing that bums me out, is that they sayh their in it but their just in a little 30 second scene, don't get me wrong I love the show but Mary and Adam episodes make them all the more better. Oh and don't forget to watch the Michael Landon 2005 Labor Day weekend marathon. Check here more more info http://www.mortystv.com/landon.shtml . Alright so I'll let you gget on withb your bust internet lives with this closing statemeant.
    My favorite episodes include, I'll be waving as you drive away 1+2, The Wedding, The Sound of Children, and Enchanted Cottage. I havn't seen them all so That's just so far.
  • Wonderful show for the whole family.

This show, based on the books of Laura Ingalls Wilder, was rejected many times, by the networks.
    Thank God for Michael Landon's persistence! He finally got NBC to buy it. And to their surprise, it lasted 10 seasons, even though Mr. Landon took several liberties with the true stories from the books, and re-wrote them for the TV show.
1 2 3