Little House on the Prairie

NBC (ended 1983)

Little House on the Prairie Fan Reviews page 3 of 3

• Wonderful show for the whole family.

This show, based on the books of Laura Ingalls Wilder, was rejected many times, by the networks.
    Thank God for Michael Landon's persistence! He finally got NBC to buy it. And to their surprise, it lasted 10 seasons, even though Mr. Landon took several liberties with the true stories from the books, and re-wrote them for the TV show.
  • Based on the books by Laura Ingles Wildes, this series purported to show what life was like on the frontier in the late 1870s. Many children grew up watching the Ingalls deal with the joys and sorrows of life in the little town of Walnut Grove (populatio

Little House On The Prairie was certainly not a Western in the usual sense it was about frontier life. There were, however, many illnesses, deaths, misfortunes, miracles and 'heart warming' moments.
    Charles Ingalls was a homesteader struggling to make a living for his family on a small farm in Minnesota. The Ingalls had moved from the great plains of Kansas to Walnut Grove in search of a future in a young and growing community. With Charles were his wife, Caroline, and their three daughters: teenagers Mary and Laura, and little Carrie
    Stories revolved around the experiences of family life and growing children, the constant struggle against natural disasters and ruined crops, and the dealings with other members of the little town in which they lived.
    Among the Ingalls' friends were: Mr. Hanson, the mill owner; Nels Oleson, the owner of the general store and Mr. Edwards, a nearby farmer who became a good friend despite his harsh exterior.

I loved watching this show as kid and even watching re-runs now as an adult i still love it just as much.

Personal Trivia - as silly as this sounds it was watching Little House on the Prairie that inspired me to be teacher.
  • One of the best shows ever.

It made you laugh. It made you cry. It made you want to sock that Nellie Oleson right in the eye! (and her adopted sister, Nancy too!) When I was a little girl, in the seventies, I had a t-shirt with a mouse on it who lived in a mushroom house. And it said, “Little Mouse on The Prarie.” I remember watching reruns at my Grandmas house in the eighties. And I’m still watching reruns, having introduced it to my little girl. My favorite season is #6, when Almanzo is introduced and Laura and Nellie fight in the pond. My least favorite season is the last one (yawn).
  • This is a really nice show for the whole family

This is another one of those shows I loved watching when I was little. Every Thursday, then Wednesday, then Monday night was Little House night. Everyone had to be home to watch Little House. The show didn't shy away from tragedy, but was honest about how life was in general back then, and for the Ingalls family. The episodes about Mary's blindness were very well done. There were cute episodes too, for example the one where Laura had a crush on a boy, Nellie betrayed her by telling the whole class with a "tape recorder" and the boy admitting he liked Laura too. A very heartwarming show people can grow up with.
  • At least it's not a blank screen for 30 minutes...

Actually, I think I might prefer a tv screen of snow over this. Or at least that weather alert system that beeps really load for like 10 seconds. Ya, I could go for that right about now.

I only review this now to bring hatred to this show. I mean, just look at the title and you'll know you don't wanna watch it: "Little House on the Prairie."

"Little" - No, I don't want to watch anything about that. That's not cool, really. No. Why not "Big" or "Gi-freaking-normous"?... Stoopid...

"House" - Um, nope. How about "Mansion" or "Chinese-back-massage-parlor" or "Time-altering-rocket-car," those sell a show. Speaking of which, this is the exact reason I'm not watching that new doctor show on FOX.

"Prairie" - Everytime I hear that word all I think about is cow poo. My aunt had a prairie and you know what? I f-ing hated it. Cow crap everywhere, what kind of place is that for a little kid to work? I didn't even get minimum wage... stoopid cows.

So, ya, obviously this was a program spawned straight from the devil himself. Christian values my ass, I swear I saw Satin try and eat that little girl like 5 times.
  • Television Drama based on the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

The only reason I scored it as low as I did is because I read all the books,and they took license with some of the storylines. However I understood they did it for budget and storyline purposes.
    The cast was great. Especially Michael Landon and Melissa Gilbert.... I didn't appreciate how good the show was until I watched the limited series this spring on ABC based on the same books...
  • The best show ever.

Little House on the Prairie is such a good show I love it. It's one of those shows that has everything from romance, funny, touching, and sad moments. I think Little House will always be here no matter what. Even if you hated the show I still think it will be around.
  • Little House on the Prairie was a true account of a family and a town who worked together in faith.

This show was the absolute best. It was made for family. I grew up with it and now my children are growing up with it. This was a show that was not afraid to show of God, emotions from men and women, lessons learned, hard time and good. My biggest fascination with this show is how the families and town worked together to form a stronger unit. Every person can learn a valuable lesson just from watching an episode.
  • In this show we follow the lives of the family Ingalls.

Ahh, I always watched this show when I was little. A really good show, I think, in twenty years people will still watch this show and think it\'s a very good show. I especially remember Laura (the little redhead) and Mary (the blonde), and of course good ol\' Mom and dad.
  • When it debuted, I doubt anybody expected it to last beyond a season or two. This family show surprised people though, and for good reason. It's a solid show from top to bottom.

Let me start by saying I don't usually like the "feel good" shows that are supposed to teach life lessons without having some comic relief mixed in. In other words, I don't watch the Waltons, the Patridge Family or Highway to Heaven. I will, however, watch Little House on the Prairie.

I think part of it stems from my interest in history and homestead life back in those days. How the people lived back then is of extreme interest to me, and the towns/houses were really well done. Also, the characters were done pretty well in accordance with the books written by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Lastly, I don't live all that far from where these things happened. Just like them, the nearest big city to me is Minneapolis.

Pa Ingalls was truly one of the best characters we've seen in a TV drama. He was a great father, but extremely firm with the children. Back then, he had to be strict to make sure all the children carried their own weight and became good citizens. When he believed an injustice was being done, he was always one of the first to step up and speak out against it.

I always loved the scenes in the school as room schoolhouses are just facinating.

I will admit that the later episodes weren't as good when the children weren't so young anymore. It lost some of its charm then. The ending of the series, with the demolition of the town, is one of the saddest in TV history.
1 2 3 >