Little House on the Prairie

NBC (ended 1983)

Little House on the Prairie Fan Reviews (70)

• The fictionalized tale of the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder as she grows up in the prairie wilds of Minnesota.

This is quite possibly one of the best, and most enduring television series ever. The appeal of a wholesome family show that is still exciting and adventurous is universal.
    It has a little something for everyone; drama, suspense, humor, adventure, and even romance.
    I loved this show when I was a girl and I love it just as much today. The writing was good. There were glitches, many historical inaccuracies along the way, but the stories were solid and interesting. One week you're reaching for the Kleenex and the next you're falling out of the recliner laughing. It kept you coming back to see what would happen next. Many of the stories were sad, but there was an underlying message of faith in God and family in many of them. How it must have been so back then on the prairie.
    The actors are forever immortalized in these roles. Can anyone say 'Michael Landon' and not picture him in Pa's hat? He was so good in that role. Karen Grassle was the perfect choice for Caroline-she just radiated love for her family. I could go on and on; Melissa Gilbert, Victor French, Scottie MacGregor,Allison Arngrim-they were just the best cast on a show at that time.
    The best episodes are surely in the first half of the series, but my personal favorites can mostly be found in Seasons 6 and 7. The romance of Laura and Almanzo, though not anything like the way it was historicall, enthralled me.
    The later episodes became cluttered with too many children and some far-fetched story lines, but I still watched. One of my favorite later episodes is actually "May I Have This Dance" which was to be the last but one of the series. It was satisfying to see Willie grown up and standing up to his mother!
    But either early or late in the run, most of the shows were well written and performed and continue to be viewed by millions of fans today.