Little House on the Prairie

Sins Of The Fathers

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Jan 10, 1983 on NBC

7.4
  • Do any of us ever outgrow wanting to please our parents?

This episode revolves around Sarah's father showing up unexpectedly at the Carter's home (formerly the Ingalls place). He tells Sarah that her mother suddenly passed away from influenza. Sarah later learns her mom actually died of consumption and had been in a "nursing home" for a year. Understandably Sarah was devastated at the news of her mother's death, but when she learned the truth, she was livid. Instead of giving her the opportunity to visit her mom during a time she needed help, he decides for her that it would be too upsetting. Problem is her father's been making those kinds of decisions FOR her all her life.

Next thing Sarah knows, her dad is running her small town newspaper his way and she lets him, fearful of standing up to him. He also begins pressuring her into moving back to New York and even makes the calls to get the boys into the "proper" schools. It takes him letting Harriet Oleson's gossip into the paper and seriously hurting someone's feelings (and reputation) for Sarah to finally stand up to her father. I believe right, wrong, or indifferent we never stop seeking our parents' approval.

The show was well done and everyone did a good job portraying their respective role.