Little House on the Prairie

Sweet Sixteen

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Feb 25, 1980 on NBC

• Laura takes on a teaching job, which makes Almanzo notice her and no longer think of her as a kid. Almanzo assumes the worst of a situation and makes Laura furious. At the end, a church social, they finally kiss.

This was a beautiful episode. While I personally find it slightly wrong that he\'s 10 years older than her and today this would be illegal, its still nice. I love when relationships begin to blossom, and this episode really showcased the attraction between Laura and Almanzo. I freaked out when they kissed -- romantic! This was a fun episode because it purely focused on one story, therefore not making it confusing. The script was great and the plot went from one spot to another with perfect timing. This was a fabulous episode -- I\'d love to see it again and again!
  • Wonderfly amazing!

Great episode!!!! I wish it would play over and over and over again. It was adorable when Almonzo was going crazy over Laura. And I loved it when Laura was driving home with Charles and she told him that she loved Almonzo(by mistake) and Charles just smiles. I also liked the part when Almonzo tells Charles that he likes Laura more than a friend (which is proven at the end when they kiss). So sweet when Almonzo keeps on looking at Laura with interest in his eyes when they are driving home, and Laura knows it too. I can't find the words to say how much I loved this episode. I didn't want it to end. The problem is now that I have to wait until Monday to see the one where Almonzo proposes to Laura.
  • *Sigh* When Laura goes to another town to begin her teaching career, Almonzo's feelings for her change from platonic to...lovey dovey. The result is an episode that is 10 on the swoon scale, for those of us who love romance:)

I think only Dean Butler could have done this episode. When he looks at Laura that way and what he says to her, I just melt every time! And the last scene is not only romantic, but actually sensual, which is a little weird because of the age difference, but it's all good. I give this a 10 and it's in my Top 5 LHOTP episodes! I also think that the side story involving Charles losing his 'Halfpint' is also touching. They must have cut out a scene or two when I saw this yesterday because one moment Charles was happy that Almonzo had gotten into a fight with one of Laura's students and the next moment he was telling Laura that Almonzo felt bad about it!
  • Laura's love is finally returned by Almanzo as he begins to see her in a new light.

This is an episode about love, old and new, but also about relationships of many kinds. It is a well written and directed episode (well acted too!) that makes you think about the beauty of a new love, a new friendship, or a new journey in life.
    Laura is so excited to finally be a teacher. It's what Charles has said would finally make him see her as a woman, but her reactions to her new found "maturity" are in fact very child-like. I cringe when I watch the scene where Almanzo is driving her to the school for the first time and she makes all kinds of remarks about her dress and so on, fishing for compliments. Almanzo bites until it comes to the "maturity" of the hairstyle and he makes the comment that it doesn't make her look mature at all! Laura looks like she wants to crawl into a hole. Dean Butler is great in the scene where Almanzo picks up Laura after her first week at the school. He gazes intently at her as though even he doesn't understand what he is feeling. One look at his face and you can see that he's falling in love, but just doesn't know it yet. Melissa Gilbert plays the "maturing" Laura so well. She has been in love with Almanzo for a long time, so there is no need for dramatic romantic revelations for her. In fact, I love the fact that Laura stays true to her own fiesty nature and tells him off when he punches the boy student.
    I mentioned that other relationships of many kind come into play in this episode and I would like to touch on that briefly, before this turns into a book. Almanzo's relationship with Charles grows significantly in this episode, although they began coming closer in Wilder and Wilder. Almanzo feels comfortable enough to talk to Charles about his feelings for Laura and ask permission to take her to the dance. When things go badly after he struck the student, he again feels at ease discussing this with Charles. Charles seems to be more accepting of Almanzo and seems to have affection for him, despite how he feels about the difference in their ages. He still makes a few snide remarks here and there, but mostly to himself and all in good humour.
    Almanzo turns to his sister in this episode as we have never seen before. When he is tormenting himself about his feelings, and her playing hard to get, he finally turns to Eliza for confirmation of what he thinks he is feeling. Although he words it in such a way that would make us think he is trying to deny his feelings, it seems clear that he is looking to Eliza as if to say "I'm in love, aren't I sis?".
    This is a beautiful episode and some of the most beautiful moments of the whole series are played out near the end between Laura and Almanzo. Their quiet tentativeness is in deep contrast to their strong feelings for one another and both Dean and Melissa play this so wonderfully. It is a joy to watch.
    The only black mark on this episode is at the very end. It's puzzling. Pa and Ma are dancing and Pa concedes that he may be losing a daughter, as they gaze at Laura and Almanzo dancing. Ma replies that she hopes so because she's "dying to call you Grampa". Remember, it was only 3 episodes prior that they did have a grandchild that was killed in a fire, making this comment odd and insensitive. I have often wondered how and why this line was included in an otherwise impeccable episode.
  • Laura has loved Manly for a long long time... is he finally coming around...

When I bought the season DVDs JUST for this episode, I was worried that my memory of the episode would 'pale' after seeing it again. I really remember seeing the episode the first time around and didn't want it to lose me in the present. I was worried that I'd view their relationship in a new light. When I was young woman watching this show, Manly's display of jealousy and temper were exciting... that he cared so much. I loved Eliza Jane when she's helping her brother realize that he loves Laura... The way he looked at her.. the dawning of his understanding of her, not as a little girl that tagged after him, but a woman that loved him. It was precious and wonderful and innocent all at the same time. Still a classic!
  • In this episode Laura is asked to teach at a school temporaily . And Almonzo falls in love with Laura while driving her to school and back.

Great episode!!!! I wish it would play over and over and over again. It was adorable when Almonzo was going crazy over Laura. And I loved it when Laura was driving home with Charles and she told him that she loved Almonzo(by mistake) and Charles just smiles. I also liked the part when Almonzo tells Charles that he likes Laura more than a friend (which is proven at the end when they kiss). So sweet when Almonzo keeps on looking at Laura with interest in his eyes when they are driving home, and Laura knows it too. I can't find the words to say how much I loved this episode. I didn't want it to end. This is probably mmy favorite episode. The problem is now that I have to wait until Monday to see the one where Almonzo proposes to Laura.
  • In this episode laura gets her first teaching job. Almonso drives her to work. On one of the trips, Almonso realizes that laura is no longer a little girl but a woman. Almonso starts to look at her as being more maure and their relashionship developes.
    There is a teaching oppurtunity open and Ms.Wilider siggests laura go. She also suggests that Almonso drive her. He does for the occasion Laura buys a new hat and dress, hoping Almonso will notice. On the way back form her teaching job Almonso notices how much older Laura looks and developes feelings for her. He than proceds to ask her father for persimmion to escort Laura to the church dance. Charles says that it is up to Laura. Laura sais that she will have to think on it. Meanwhile Almonso is going crazy waiting for an anwser. Finally he dicides to visit Laura. He walks into the school house and sees Laura with a male student studying medicine. The student was showing Laura how flexible the ribcage was by feeling her waist. Almonso sees this and instantly becomes jealous, he punches the boy. Laura is furious. Later at the dance the two meet up again and make up. Their relashionship is now established.