Little House on the Prairie

The Election

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Mar 21, 1977 on NBC

7.7
  • A slow-witted classmate of Laura and Mary's becomes the victim of the school bullies who nominate him to run for class president.

This episode really gets to me. Every single time I watch it, which is at least twice a year, I get choked up over poor Elmer's plight. Perhaps being the parent of a school age boy has something to do with that, but it's also a testament to how well written this episode is. The story is timeless, unfortunately bullying in school is still prevelant today, and somewhat familiar. "The Election" is one of many LH episodes that deal with the subject. In fact, it is the third such episode in this season! (It would be more, but I don't count the Nelly ones) Many fans know that Michael Landon was bullied in college, and perhaps in high school as well, and it has clearly had an impact on him.
    The character of Elmer is quite sympathetic. Not quite bright enough to equal his peers, but certainly not stupid. His love of animals, particularly injured ones, tells of his gentle nature and pure heart. He wants so badly to be accepted by his "friends" that he goes along with their mean-spirited pranks and tells his father (and himself, no doubt) that they we only kidding around. He wants to believe this, but like his father, he knows the truth. The look in his eyes at the end of the scene with his father in the barn is heartbreaking. He is loved by his parents though, and I believe it's his love for them that gives him the strength to go to the school and say the things he says to the class at the end. After being pushed into the pig pen by the bullies (who lure him there because they know of his love for animals-these guys really stink), he looks down at the handsome new shirt his mother made him for election day. He must be thinking of her and how hard she worked on it. And perhaps too, he is thinking of his father, who loves him enough to make him give up the election, even though it's not what Elmer wants. Elmer never much stood up for himself before, but maybe now that he sees how painful it must be for his folks, he feels it's time to say something. Elmer would never have been able to say those words without the love of his mother and father. It makes you wonder if Michael Landon was imagining a different outcome for his past self as well as for Elmer. This is a very good episode, I highly recommend it, but have the Kleenex handy for the ending. That father/son embrace gets me everytime.