Little House on the Prairie

The High Cost Of Being Right

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Nov 14, 1977 on NBC

7.7
  • Bad times for the Garvey family when their barn burns down.

Jonathan Garvey is a happy man. He has a big crop that is going to set himself and his family up well for the winter. He is, therefore, devastated when his barns burns down and not even a small part of his harvest survives.

The family are not sure how they are going to cope financially as just about everything was dependent on the crop. Alice feels she has the answer when she offers to take a job to bring in some extra income but Jonathan will not hear of it.

I always cringe inwardly a little when the plot is Garvey-family centric. I think Jonathan, superbly played by Merlin Oleson, is excellent and I have no trouble with young Andy, but Alice sets my teeth on edge every time I see her. I'm not really sure why this is but I know that one thing I find annoying is her appalling grammar, given that she is supposed to be a qualified teacher. Surely the writers could do better than that? Jonathan is the one who had no formal education, but Alice is the one who sounds like a yokel when she speaks. She also doesn't convey warmth or friendliness to me and that aggravates me as well. Perhaps I am just picky, but I find myself scoring episodes much lower when she is given a big part in them.
INSP