Little House on the Prairie

The Legend of Black Jake

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Nov 16, 1981 on NBC

3.8
  • Witness a pair of bumbling crooks kidnap prominent Walnut Grove citizens.

The Legend of Black Jake, what words could I use to describe this episode? Well, what comes to mind right away was that I found this episode to be one of the funniest episode from the later seasons of "Little House on the Prairie", thanks in large part to Georgie and Max's bumbling ways and Nels' idea of getting set free.

When the episode starts out, we find our two favorite kidnappers getting caught after they rob a bank and being sent to jail for 12 years. I find that the episode started off down its silly path after Max and Georgie were released and were looking for a way to make a lot of money fast, and sensing they would have good luck in Walnut Grove.

However, from that point of the story on, I had a smile on my face, thanks in large part of the events that followed: Nels being kidnapped for his "pure gold" fishing lure and then being ransomed off by Georgie and Max, only to have Mrs. Oleson refusing to play along with what they had in mind. The events that followed this is what made the episode classic; in order to get the $100 ransom Georgie and Max wanted for Nels, they decided to try and get it instead by kidnapping Mrs. Oleson, only learn she is the only person in the Oleson family to withdraw money out of their account, and that her domestic skills are severely lacking.

Some other things that I found to be pretty comical about the episode is how, instead of holding up the Mr. Anderson at the bank, Georgie and Max decide to kidnap him, since Georgie thought that was their new profession, only to make Max mad at his actions. What was the best about the banker, and ultimately Dr. Baker and Reverend Alden being kidnapped was how it caused Max and Georgie to decide to just let their prisoners go. When the victims were finally able to get back to town, Mrs. Oleson, Nancy, and Willie’s reaction to seeing their “dead” husband and father was priceless, too bad it didn’t teach Harriet and Nancy to treat Nels with more respect afterwards.

In all, I have to say that these are just a few of the reasons why I found “The Legend of Black Jake” to be such a great episode from the later seasons of “Little House on the Prairie”. This episode was truly a breath of fresh air in the last two seasons of somewhat poor episodes.
  • I love this episode!

I really love this episode!I don't see why people hate this episode it's hilarious!I laugh every time I see this epiode!It's one of my favorite episodes of the series!I think it should have gotten a higher rating than it did!I like the funny episodes alot better than the serious ones!Nothing's wrong with the serious episodes i just like the funny ones better!