Little House on the Prairie

The Lord is My Shepherd (2)

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Dec 18, 1974 on NBC

• Little Laura's emotions shift from anger to unbearable guilt when the brother she thought she resented dies in infancy.Truly believing that she has robbed her beloved Pa of the one thing he wanted most in the world, Laura runs away with a desire to make t

This is far and away the finest episode in the entire series--a favorite of Melissa Gilbert\'s and simply a landmark episode in the series\' 10-year run.

This episode depicts the finest of childhood innocence and weaves a beautiful sense of faith into the plot that will no doubt leave you in tears. It\'s been said numerous times that Laura Ingalls Wilder\'s books--and this television series by extension--have one major underlying source: Laura\'s relationship with her Pa. The stories revolve around the entire Ingalls family, yes, but with episodes like this it is clear as day that it is really about Laura and her bond with her father.

Michael Landon and Melissa Gilbert had phenomenol chemistry on-screen as father and daughter, and this very episode leaves you wondering how they managed to do it so beautifully. Melissa Gilbert was a gem of an actress, even at that young age, and we all know what a legendary talent Michael Landon was. I have grown to love this series and all its episodes, but if ever asked what my favorite is, nothing holds a candle to the emotionally charged and spiritually uplifting \"The Lord is My Shepherd.\"
INSP