Little House on the Prairie

The Lord is My Shepherd (2)

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Dec 18, 1974 on NBC

• Laura heads for the hills - again.

This second of the two-part episode is the first Little House I can remember watching as a little kid, but that is perhaps it's only endearment to me. Seeing it again as an adult, it is painful indeed to watch, from Laura's perpetual self-centered behavior to Jonathan's questionable theology to watching an already grief-stricken Charles shoulder the additional burden his daughter places upon him with her flighty antics. Laura was selfish while her brother was alive, then self-focused in guilt and running away after his death. (Had she been like Mary and Carrie in understanding that a new baby would temporarily take some of the attention away from her, or if she had at least talked to her pa about her feelings, she would not have been struck with the overwhelming sense of guilt after her brother died. One thing I never cared for about Laura was how she never thought through how her actions would hurt others). Then there's the jovial celestial being, Jonathan. He's alright - a little overweight for an angel perhaps - but for someone claiming to be a messenger of God, he doesn't seem to know his Creator very well and makes some strange statements, such as "God doesn't have time" for certain things, etc. I know it's only fictional, but for a messenger of God to tell a little girl things about God that aren't true always kind of irked me. The roughest spot of the show for me, however, is the scene towards the end in which Charles is overcome with grief and buries his face in his horse and just sobs. I can't imagine being a parent and losing a newborn baby, then on top of it having to search the wilderness for another child who had heard the news and simply run off - and wondering the entire time if she'd been eaten by bears or mauled by a mountain lion, etc. Instead of a hug, I just wish ol' Pa would have taken a strap to her at the end, and Edwards too!