Little House on the Prairie

The Lord is My Shepherd (2)

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Dec 18, 1974 on NBC

• Laura meets a protective stranger in her quest for God in the mountains. As Charles and Mr. Edwards search for her, Laura learns from Jonathan in more ways than one. A true blue tear-jerker.

I remember this episode when it first came out. I was about eight or so and I remember my father crying at the end. The spiritual message is particularly inspiring to me, yet not in a heavy-handed way. To think that Michael Landon wrote it really shows what an all-around genius that man was. They just don't make this quality of material these days and we need it badly! When you think about how Christianity is sometimes portrayed, it's nice to see something which deals about redemption instead of the usual stuff about punishment. And I think it's also important because this is a common mistake of parents: the favoring of one child over another, even if only due to a new birth. Parents need to be sensitive to the feelings of their other children. To the reviewer on here (Miller): your comments and observations seemed a bit insensitive. Laura needed a beating? A child never needs physical punishment. She was jealous and then she was guilty. She needed understanding.
INSP