Little House on the Prairie

The Lord is My Shepherd (2)

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Dec 18, 1974 on NBC

• Overcome with guilt at the death of her brother, Laura is determined to make it right.

Laura cannot cope with the awful feelings of guilt which overpower her after the death of little Charles Jnr. She blames herself because she was very jealous of him and refused to pray for him when he was sick. She decides to run away after a chat with Reverend Alden, who tells her that the closer you are to God, the more he will listen to you.

Laura mistakes this for physical closeness and sets out on a climb towards a high peak where she strikes a bargain with The Lord - take me and send my little brother back to Pa.

While on her journey, sick with worry, Charles enlists the aid of Mr. Edwards to go and find her but Laura herself meets up with a kindly mn named Jonathan who gives her food and shelter and explains a lot about God that she didn't know before. When Charles and Mr. Edwards finally track her down, Jonathan explains that her father has found her safe and well because it's God's will that she be with the people she loves.

A very moving episode with an extremely poignant message to go along with it. In my opinion, one of the series' best.