Little House on the Prairie

The Music Box

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Mar 14, 1977 on NBC

• I had some trouble with the moral message portrayed in this one, which is why I gave it such a low score, not because of the episode itself.

Laura makes friends with a sweet little girl named Anna who is laughed at and teased by the other students because she has a severe stutter. Meanwhile, elitist snob, Nellie Oleson, forms a new and exclusive club, with what she considers to be a select membership. She wants Laura to join but Laura won't unless Anna does.

Predictably, the girls tease Anna terribly about her speech impediment but, worse still, Laura sees a beautiful music box belonging to Nellie and decides to steal it.

Playing with it secretly in the barn at home, she drops and breaks it and finds that she is unable to repair it. What bothered me so much was, that from here on in, Laura seemed to practically get away with the theft with a considerably light punishment, including an apology to Nellie. Nels seemed more furious with his daughter about her treatment of poor Anna (ustifiably so) than he or anybody else was about the fact that Laura stole the music box in the first place.

This behaviour was very out of character for Charles Ingalls who, as we have seen, was a very harsh but fair disciplinarian. The fact that Nellie is such an awful child makes no difference to Laura's actions at all, but, in this case, it seemed to, and I was unhappy about this.