Little House on the Prairie

The Odyssey

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Mar 19, 1979 on NBC

4.2
  • A very touching and memorable episode.

***SPOILERS***

This was a beautiful story that evoked a wide range of emotion from me: from sadness and sympathy for a child dying in such a cruel and unfair way, to elation when Laura pushes that mean transient out of their car(I cheered out loud lol), and in the end an exhilarating inspiration when the boy finally achieves his dream.

I was really happy when Charles ended up in their compartment with them and was badly hoping that the man that robbed the children would catch up to them somehow, so he would have to face Charles. Well that didn't happen but almost as good was the fight that did happen with the security guy. I say almost as good because the fact that our protagonists were in the wrong here bothered me. Especially since Charles is supposed to be a good Christian. I was surprised to see him set the example that it's OK to trespass and disobey authority. Why couldn't he have gotten off in the town, and found some way to make enough to buy a ticket?

But that's a small criticism in an otherwise wonderful story. I can't imagine why some people would be bothered that there is apparently a very similar plot line to this in an episode of another tv show. Whichever one was written first- I couldn't care less. It has nothing to do with the emotional impact or entertainment value this episode provided, which was amazing. This is one I'm sure I will remember for a very long time.
  • Laura and Albert decide to accompany a dying classmate to California to help him fulfill his final wish.

Yet ANOTHER episode where a character is introduced for the first time, and then promptly is killed off. When a friend of Albert and Laura's is diagnosed with leukenia, he shares his dying wish with them: to see the Pacific Ocean. Nonchalantly, and of course without telling anyone, they hop a train to the Golden State. Charles goes after them and has no trouble finding them (what?!). Anyway, flash forward to scenes of the dying young man frolicking in slo-mo in what surely looks more like Malibu than Half Moon Bay (I'll bet they broke for lunch at Michael Landon's house immediately after filming). A "filler" episode if ever there was one. Don't bother.
  • About a boy dying of Leukemia and his dream to see the ocean

A heartfelt episode revolving around a young boy, Dhillion who recently discovered he is dying of Leukemia.
    Dhillion decides to leave Walnut Grove to achieve his life long dream of seeing the Pacific Ocean before he dies.
    As true friends Albert and Laura leave home to run away with their friend, Dhillon.

When the parents discover the children missing, Mr. Ingalls goes looking for them, he is one step behind them most of the journey.
    The children have a few close calls on the way, in particular with a transient and the train conductor.
    When Charles finally catches up with the children, the children explain to Charles why have run away, after an emotional chat with Dhillon Charles helps them get to the ocean.

This is an emotional episode about true friendship and following your dreams.
  • Laura and Albert run away with a dying boy to help him fulfill his dream of seeing the ocean.

This plot is unoriginal taken almost exactly from "The Waltons" second season opener entitled "The Journey" where John Boy helps a dying woman realize her final wish...to see the ocean. Did Little House borrow the plot from "The Waltons"? It sure seems that way to me. Same story...same premise....different characters and time. Its not bad but its unoriginal and certainly not one of Little House's best efforts.
  • A young boy named Dylan is terminally ill and his one wish is to see the ocean before he dies. Laura, Albert and Charles help make his dream come true. Pity the episode was boring basically from start to finish.

Dylan is a highly talented young artist who lives in Walnut Grove with his widowed mother. When he begins to suffer frequent nosebleeds and fevers, Doctor Baker diagnoses leukemia and tells the boy and his mother that he has only a short time to live.

His dream is to see the ocean before he dies. Laura and Albert are determined that he will get his wish and help him jump trains to get to San Francisco. When Charles rides out to look for his children, he ends up becoming a part of the scheme as well and helps Dylan fulfill his dream.

As a season finale, this was extremely weak and the script was poorly written. The boy's poor mother was given little to no understanding or warmth from the people of Walnut Grove and this is supposed to be a community of good, kind God-fearing people. It certainly didn't come across that way in this episode.

I wasn't very impressed by this one at all.