Little House on the Prairie

The Preacher Takes A Wife

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Oct 22, 1979 on NBC

6.1
  • Reverend Robert Alden has performed marriage services for many people, now it's his turn to walk down the aisle.

Reverend Alden has devoted his life to serving God and the people of his several congregations. He is a kindly man who is always there in times of need but his is, by its very nature, a lonely life and he has missed the opportunity to have a home, a wife and children of his own.

Enter the widow Anna Craig who is also very lonely and extremely smitten with the good reverend. She makes her feelings quite plain but he is completely thrown and is unsure what to do. To make matters worse, Harriet Oleson is totally against a union between the two elderly people and tries to use all her influence to stop it taking place. It is here that we learn the astounding news that Harriet was once engaged to the preacher who happens to be Reverend Alden's superior in the church!

I can believe a lot of things because of artistic license, but Harriet as a preacher's wife is a little more than I can cope with. It seems he broke off their engagement just before the wedding which might be one of the reasons she is so bitter and twisted today.

When the church gives its permission, Reverend Alden and Anna Craig become man and wife in what I consider a sweet and moving episode, especially as I can't recall too many which have actually focussed on the reverend.