Little House on the Prairie

The Richest Man In Walnut Grove

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Sep 10, 1975 on NBC

• The Best of many great episodes in the first few years.....

This is my favorite episode of the series, with about 30 episodes that come in a close second. This episode makes so many social statements (money does not buy happyness, all jobs are respectful, teamwork is important, etc.) that it really is wonderful to watch with a child. Plus, it has one of the most romantic scenes in tv history, when charles tells his wife that \\\"the only thing that he regretted about marrying her was that he would never again have the pleasure of asking her to be his wife.\\\" Then the camera pans out away from them as they kiss.....they definately don\\\'t make them like this anymore! The first few years of little house had so many masterpiece episodes in them...they really were like small movies rather than television shows. You can tell that Michael Landon put alot of attention into every litte detail. Wish that some of the writers of the fluff today could figure out a way to make this type of product work..but, I guess they can make everything cheap and quick as long as we continue to watch the mindless dribble that they put out there......
  • An excellent episode which shows us that we CAN help ourselves, no matter how bad things may appear to be.

The Ingalls family are in dire straits financially when Charles is temporarily laid off at the mill and they have no money coming in. Rather than rest on their laurels and feel sorry for hemselves, the whole family pitches in to help as Charles goes off in search of odd jobs, Caroline and Laura see to the chores and the ploughing while Mary takes some time off school to once again help out the local seamstress.

Harriett Oleson is really the catalyst behind the whole thing as she refuses any more store credit until the outstanding bill is paid and spreads the gossip near and far.

Excellent episode outlining strength and faith in adversity. Terrific work by all the actors involved in this one.