Little House on the Prairie

The Wisdom Of Solomon

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Mar 07, 1977 on NBC

• Great quote

One quote from this episode I have repeated to others who say they don't see color, or that others get things they want, like jobs, etc.

As Solomon said, 'Would you like to live to be a 100 and be black or 50 and be white?" Mr. Ingall's didn't answer and neither have any I have asked that question.

I did cringe at some of the comments, but they were fitting to the time.
  • A young African-American boy named Solomon wants more out of life and he intends to get it.

Solomon Henry (played by Todd Bridges from Diff'rent Strokes') is a young black boy who seeks a better life for himself. He runs away from his mother and ends up in Mankato where he spies Charles Ingalls and his wagon and decides to hitch a ride to a new future.

Arriving in Walnut Grove, Solomon sees the kind of life that he seeks right in front of him, there for the taking. He soon finds himself involved in the local school and sees a far brighter future ahead of him. When he ends up staying with Charles and his family, he is even more determined than ever that he will have the future he wants.

This episode showed us all just how lucky we are to have what we have and also what can be achieved with a strong spirit and determination. The premise of the episode and the lessons learned were excellent, but I would have preferred a stronger script to showcase Solomon's story even more.
  • *Very special and cringe-inducing episode of LHOTP!* Todd Bridges (Willis from "Diff'rent Strokes") guest stars as a young Black boy who wants to go to school and is told he can't. Boarding at the Ingalls, he touches the family, especially

The issue of race comes to Walnut Grove and while there are some special moments here, there are also times when I wanted to jump out of my skin. Example: When Laura walks into the barn and sees Solomon (Todd Bridges, AKA Willis on "Diff'rent Strokes"), she rubs his skin to prove to herself that he is a "real-life Negro" (a phrase repeated by Laura in excruciating abundance). The saintliness of the Ingalls' family is a bit much regarding taking in a strange boy, regardless of color, but particularly given the times and environment, but anything is possible, of course. It's a strange episode: half-uncomfortable and half-interesting in a historical context.
HALMRK