Lizzie McGuire

Between a Rock and a Bra Place

Aired Unknown May 11, 2001 on Disney Channel

7.9
  • between a rock and a bra place

Bouncing back from the worst episode of the series, we have this really great and memorable episode, that got to delve in to more of the character's interactions with others, other than having the usual ensemble (Lizzie, Gordo, Miranda) we got to explore with more of the characters.

The guys and girls are split up in this episode as Sam, Matt, Gordo, and a kung fu master helps Matt enter a contest to be Jet Li's sidekick. Meanwhile Lizzie, Miranda, and Jo go bra shopping resulting in a tantrum from Lizzie, but then she realizes she still needs help from her mom in the end.

I surprisingly enjoyed the guys interactions way better than the girls, I found myself laughing out loud when they were filming the video and I loved the ending when Matt ended up winning the contest, something Sam did not want. I couldn't help but feel bad for Jo when Lizzie yelled at her for something that Jo didn't even know she was doing. I guess that was the point, had a pretty good ending with their plot, and a nice tie in, in the end with the main ensemble all together again talking on the phone. Great episode.
  • Never try to grow up too fast.

Lizzie and Miranda want a bra, and they're trying their best to act like adults. When Lizzie's mother takes the girls shopping for one, she tends to embarrass them, especially poor Lizzie. Still, when it came time for Lizzie to tell her mother how she felt, she may have said it thr wrong way. She ended up really hurting her mother's feelings. I guess the girls learned that you should never try to grow up too fast. You should just take baby steps, or you'll end up wearing yourself down to the ground. You'll regret leaving everything behind you too early. You really will. Never try to grow up too fast. Take baby steps.
  • Lizzie and Miranda want a bra and Lizzie tells her mom to get her and Miranda one.

This was a good episode but it is funny that Lizzie would mention bras in front of her dad,her brother and her guy friend Gordo.I am thinking its her mom`s problem and that reminds me of my mom when I mention girl clothing in front of guys.It a liitle bit embaressed me because she was talking about girl under garments.I t was funny when Matt won a contest but I know hoe Matt and Lizzie felt in this LLizzie McGuire episode.Still I think this is a great episode.
  • Just Get The Bra!

6.3
    Lizzie and Miranda note that when a girl gets her first bra, her personality somehow seems to change. They decide they are ready for their first, and hatch a plan to get Lizzie's mom to take them to the mall where they will shop for "school supplies." Lizzie is a terrible liar, though, and blurts out the real reason for the trip. Mom is overjoyed to help the girls out, but she embarrasses them as they are shopping. Lizzie is very harsh with her mother, telling her that she and Miranda are old enough to do their own shopping and to leave them alone. The girls face further embarrassment when they run into Kate, Claire, and their English teacher Mr. Coppersmith. They also find that they don't know what to look for. They find Mrs. McGuire and apologize for being abrupt with her and ask for her help. Also, Matt is entering the Jet Li sidekick contest. He gets his dad and Gordo with his camcorder to help him make a martial arts movie as his contest entry, but it doesn't go well. Sam McGuire calls up a mysterious man named David, a kung fu expert, to help instruct them. After David finishes with them, he disappears quickly. Gordo asks, "Who was that guy?" Sam answers, "I've known him all my life. He's like a brother to me." Matt's entry wins the contest.
  • Enter The Bra.

6.6
    Feminine undergarments. Not many shows go into the subject. Oh, you’ll see the ‘clueless dad buys daughter’s first bra’ plot, but that is mainly a ploy for laughs. But this series (and episode) actually goes into details. We see Lizzie and Miranda wanting bras. We see them shopping for bras. We see bras themselves. Heck, the word ‘bra’ itself is used a dozen times!

This is an episode that makes it clear that the main character is a girl. Shopping for one’s first bra is not a ‘gender neutral’ story idea. It will definitely have more resonance with one demographic of the audience (girls) than it will with the other (boys).

As a male watching the main plot, you either A: find a new appreciation for the trails and tribulations (and thus sympathy and understanding) of the opposite sex, or B: are ‘grossed out’ by the ‘girlie’ material.

The producers, knowing that not all males would fall into category A, set about to offset the ‘girlie’ main plot with a ‘macho’ subplot. Each is at the opposite extreme. If the main plot is all about girls’ love of frilly clothing, then the subplot is about boys’ love of beating each other up. ;-)

With that clear-cut division in mind, the producers do a nice job of balancing the episode.

Lizzie is embarrassed by her mother relishing in this ‘life moment’, the choosing of one’s first bra. Like most adolescents Lizzie wants to do things for herself now, without the fawning of a parent. And like most teenagers she doesn’t adequately express this feeling. Instead she throws a tantrum, very ‘unadult’ (though more than a few adults throw tantrums themselves. But that’s another story…).

Then, the reality of the situation (that she and Miranda have no idea of what to do), and her true nature, assert themselves and she apologizes. An odd thing there. Miranda is included in the apology, but *she* wasn’t the one who yelled at Jo. True, Lizzie was speaking for the both of them, but still…

And this episode also shows Miranda’s ‘wild side’. It is she who comes up with the plan of lying to Jo at the beginning.

While the main plot may have been geared for girls, the subplot is ‘all boy’. ;-)

Matt wants to enter a contest to become martial artist movie action star Jet Li’s sidekick in his next film. While Sam endorses a well-written essay, Matt and Gordo favor a more ‘active’ approach. An entry video framed as a low budget martial arts flick.

Sam can’t act. Matt doesn’t know the moves. And Gordo is only one man. ;-)

So while Gordo and Matt struggle to put together something decent, who comes to the rescue? Why, none other than David Carradine! That star of the screen who is most well known for his television series “Kung-Fu”.

It was quite a coo to get such a ‘martial arts legend’ as him to do the show. Okay, so the fact that he is Robert Carradine’s (half) brother makes it understandable. But it’s still cool.

Seeing David Carradine dressed as Kwai Chang Caine, the character he made famous in “Kung-Fu”, is fantastic. It really takes one down memory lane. In short, his whole presence in this episode rocks. :-)

And the fact that he’s starring as *himself* makes it doubly great.

Though that *does* lead to an interesting question. As said, David Carradine stars as himself. Which is to say David Carradine stars as David Carradine. Yet, Gordo doesn’t know who he is. He even asks Sam.

How can it be that Gordo, an aspiring film director, doesn’t recognize one of the most prominent pop culture icons in the past 40 years?

In addition to a ‘Very Special Guest Star’ we are treated to one of the best songs to come out of the latter half of the 20th century: “Kung-Fu Fighting”. That is one, to use the modern vernacular, “kick’n” song. I know it makes me want to get up and do some Karate chops.

And we learn something about the McGuire’s (or at least Sam). They have connections to Hollywood. How many dads do *you* know that have David Carradine’s home phone number? And can get him to come over for the express purpose of teaching their son martial arts? *And* get him to consent to be in a video entry in a contest?

I wonder, was this subplot written as a vehicle to get David Carradine on the show, or was his presence simply applied to an already established story?

Overall, this is a pretty balanced episode. We have comedic bits. We have important goings on with Lizzie. We have a highly recognizable guest star. And we have Kung Fu. Who doesn’t love Kung Fu?

Though one would like to know what happened with Matt and the movie he was to make with Jet Li. After all, Matt *did* win the contest.
  • Kung Fu and Bras

This has to be the best episode!! Gordo, Matt and Sam make a karate movie! Lizzie and Miranda buying their firsts bras! Lizzie and Miranda are jealous that Claire and Kate have breast and they don't and the line that made the episode "I want a bra!!"
    Matt tries to become Jet Li's sidekick and Sam(Matt's father)tells him to write an essay, Matt ain't down with that, so Matt with the help of Gordo they create a kung fu movie!! Sam thinks their not using the true essence of kung fu so he calls David Carridine, real life brother of Sam Carradine from Kung Fu series. They finish the film and in the end Matt wins the contest.